Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thursday Morning

it's 10:30 a.m. in the holy city of zefat and i am on my blog. there is absolutely, nothing to watch on cable. i got up at 8:00 and had a coffee and some walnuts. i don't have to watch sahar this morning because his 17 year old aunt wants him with her. i am trying to see only the good in every situation that comes my way, now. i am trying to be open and positive and non judgemental.

the key word here is trying. last night when i went downstairs to say hello to sahar, he didn't give me the time of day. he was watching 'baby luli' and dancing in his portable crib to the music. he didn't even look my way. there was no love connection there, at all. i did not like the way it felt being, emotionally shut out, by a toddler. a cople of hours later, zvi came upstairs with him and he jumped into my lap and didn't want to leave, as we watched 'uncle moshe' videos on the computer together. i guess, even toddlers, need their down time alone.

thanks to my new remedy, i can still ascertain injustice and get frustrated, but i no longer need to rant and repeat myself. last night i spoke with the owner of the yorkshire terriers, and she shared a horror story about the previous day's veterinary treatment. i was definately, outraged at the over medicating and vaccinating of these poor little dogs and expressed myself. however, the story ended there. i didn't pick up the phone to call another friend to repeat the tale. i also, didn't rush to the blog to rant about this vet.

thinking back, that may not have been a good thing, considering my blog pseudo name is 'ranting zelda'. you'll just have to forgive my not ranting this time about pet doctors. while i was at the senior's center on tuesday, my local doctor popped in to give murray from the bronx, his flu shot. before i could shout out "run murray, run!" it was over. the doctor asked me what i was doing there and i think he asked me how my mom was. i panicked for just a moment. he then reminded me that it was time to get my flu shot. it was pretty ironic, considering the fact, that i had actively waged a campaign for ten years against having my parents vaccinated.

a few years ago, the nurse came and entered the house without knocking. she headed straight for my mother's room with a hypodermal needle in hand. luckily, i was still home and interceded. i had already refused on 5 other occassions that winter, to have my 91 year old mother given a flu shot. the nurse left in a huff and refused to check her blood. mom was on a blood thinning medication which needed to be tested every two weeks. i refused to bring her to the health clinic during flu season. i simply, demanded home blood testing, instead. on a previous clinic visit the nurse's little daughter, who was obviously sick and out of school that day, suddenly hugged her mom while she was trying to draw blood out of mom's problematic veins, and the needle went flying out of her hand. i believe that it was our last visit to the clinic.

on another occassion, both the nurse and doctor refused to come and check mom's blood after i refused to allow her to be shot up with cortisone for her gout. they stayed away for about a month until they showed up again. i quess they had nothing better to do that day. i have never been one to run to doctors. i have a basic distrust of the medical profession. i have relied primarily, on holistic healers and homeopths for the last ten years.

i finally did the dishes last night. it's less hot today and i must do the floors later. i should start getting the 'guest dogs' room set up. it looks like i'll be boarding the four little terriers in a couple of weeks from now. it's a huge responsibility. these pups are like this couples' kids. i sleep with my dogs and share meals with them, but the kids always come first. these are my pets. they offer a lot of affection and undying loyalty. they love me unconditionally. none the less, i await the day to be pet free. i don't think that i will take in any more dogs in the future except for pay.

2 comments:

  1. I guess to each their own on medical decisions. I am in favor of flu shots- but then again I have asthma and mild COPD. I hear you on medical mishaps and rants against some in the medical profession. I am on a vendetta against my kupa and not being allowed to use a toilet on their premises just because there are toilets in the Irya! Excuse me for a body that Thank G-D does its bodily functions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess there are pros and cons for vaccinations. When my first child was born and given the DPT vaccine at just 2 months old, she had a MAJOR allergic reaction. She was rendered unconscious,completely limp and non-responsive. That was one of the most frightening moments in my life! The pediatrician said that another dose would have the potenial of killing her (she was allergic to the pertussis portion). Here in the States you have to have vaccinations to attend public schools (or have just cause not to). I homsechooled my children, so we never dealt with that until it was time to go to university. The university refused to allow Hannah in without getting the pertussis vaccine. I tried to explain that it would be life-threatening to her; Hannah was horrified! Her first pediatrician was finally (after months of haggling and searching) able to find Hannah's record in a storage warehouse that documented her condition. Statics show that they save lives, but at other times....well, Hannah had a close call.

    ReplyDelete