Friday, March 1, 2019

Just Another Friday Afternoon

it is 4:00 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  I straightened out the house, swept up all of the dog hair and washed the week's dishes.  I am far too tired and way too cold to wash the dishes during the week after I come home from work.  I spend about an hour during the work day washing up pots and pans and serving dishes and utensils.  my hands are wrecked.  I come home in wet clothes, too.  I usually get out of my work clothes and put on warm pajamas and robes before I eat.  I don't like showering at night.  I didn't wash the floors because it is still quite wet and muddy outside and the dog will surely leave paw prints all over the house again.

I made a large pot of turkey neck soup and had tons of veggies to add to it.  I tried out a piece of turmeric root for the first time.  can't wait to taste it.  I also made two tilapia fillets in a spicy Sephardi sauce with string beans and carrots.  I managed to broil a small amount of chicken liver and made chopped liver with hard cooked eggs and sautéed onions.  I doubt that I will make it out to synagogue tomorrow morning.  it stopped raining and the sun actually appears every once in awhile but it is still pretty cold.

I stayed in bed until noon this morning.  I let the dog out at 7:00 a.m. and went back to sleep.  I was having dreams about plays and costumes.  they were pretty intense.  I am still quite upset about what transpired between my friend and myself.  thirty years is a long time to be associated with another person.  I still long for a reunion with my sister, who lives in safed, but I don't see it happening.  I am quite alone.  it is good that I spend so many hours out of the house and have interaction with other humans at the yeshiva each day.  it is hard on the legs but very good for the heart.

I am waiting for my non gluten brownie cake to get done.  I used half a cup of peanut flour instead of the suggested almond and I used 1/2 a cup of sugarless cherry concentrate syrup for the maple syrup.  I also used 1 tsp. of pure almond extract instead of vanilla and 1 tsp of baking powder instead of soda.  I think I used one small avocado and one and a half small bananas with 3 eggs and a half cup of cocoa powder.  I didn't add the frozen cherries in the end.  I did see a recipe that called for mint leaves and raspberries on a vegan avocado and chocolate pudding.  I bought mint leaves for my tea on Shabbat.

I have two spelt rolls for Shabbat from last week in the freezer.  I haven't been eating bread during the week.  I did sneak a piece of vegan cornbread at work.  and yesterday I snatched a square of the peppery noodle kugel.  it was yummy.  I woke up feeling not hungry this morning.  I am usually ravenous in the morning. I did have 2 large spoons of peanut butter before I went to sleep.  who knows?  I will have a lovely supper all by myself.  I will leave the heaters on and be comfortable.  I will pay the piper later.  I have a wonderful friend who sends me some money every month so I can heat my house and even buy salmon to eat when I chose.  may she be blessed ten fold!  I am fortunate to have good friends in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment