Wednesday, March 20, 2019

It's Purim

it is 10:30 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  I just did the washing up of the baking utensils and bowls.  yes, I made two batches of spelt hamentashen.  the first batch was filled with nutella chocolate and hazelnut spread and the second batch was cherry pie filling.  they were not my most successful hamentashen.  I was a bit obsessed to make them.  I should have waited for tomorrow and gone to the local bakery.  they were made with coconut oil and spelt flour.  they are like cookies.  they somehow resemble triangles but they are in all different shapes.  last year I made dozens of beautiful and uniform shaped hamentashen with date filling.  they were not a big hit.  I think the chocolate spread is going to get their attention.  in the states, I used to make the traditional prune, apricot and poppy seed fillings.  they don't do that here in the middle east.  chocolate is the main favorite.

I had another sleepless night.  I got awaken at 8:30 a.m. by the kids.  they called to let me know that they weren't coming today.  the daughter-in-law was supposed to come with the grandkids last night. hence, my pesach like scrub down on the house.  I got up right after the phone call and started my food for tomorrow.  it was a fast day and I couldn't taste anything.  after the fast ended at 6:15 p.m., I went down the street to hear the megillah at the large Sephardi synagogue.  it was very noisy and I lost the place several times.  towards the end I felt faint.  I kind of fasted yesterday, having been too busy to drink or eat until the evening.

after the megillah there was a catered meal and purim party.  I was planning on going to the party with the grandkids.  the food was incredible.  it was like going to a huge wedding.  I felt guilty that I prepared very simple food for tomorrow's festive meal.  I spent all day in the kitchen.  I made 4 small shepherd's pies with ground beef and two trays of liver teriyaki.  I am afraid that I made too little.  I cooked up a box of kreplach  and added fried onions and garlic.  I made a small amount of wanton soup last night.  I made a quinoa salad with cranberries, grated carrots and green apples and I threw in candied pecans.  I need to fry up some stuffed puff pastries filled with meat and potatoes.  I made a mashed potato kugel for the Sephardi grandpa who is vegetarian.  I poured on way too much paprika.

I will go to the supermarket in the morning and buy a bunch of franks for the little kids.  I was thinking of frying up some chicken schnitzels.  I also thought about making a piece of beef in wine.  I will see how I feel in the morning.  right now I can hardly stand.  this was supposed to be a collaborative meal. perhaps the Sephardi grandma will come up with some food items, too.  I will see if something catches my attention at the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment