Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Happy Purim

it is midnight in the holy city of safed.  I got home at 9:00 p.m. and went straight to the stove and cooked some chicken soup.  I only had a package of breasts and I added some onions, carrots, celery and cabbage.  I was trying for a wonton like broth.  I added lots of fresh garlic and ginger and bay leaves.  I added a bit of teriyaki sauce and a touch of apple cider vinegar.  I didn't have miren sauce or rice wine.  I am not planning on making wontons.  I bought a package of meat filled kreplach (Jewish ravioli) and I'm hoping someone will want to have a bowl of this soup on purim on Thursday.

I am hosting the family purim seudah again this year.  I got up this morning and washed all of the floors and changed the linen.   the kids were supposed to come this evening.  we finally had a warm and sunny day.  I ran downstairs and washed all of the towels and all of my work clothes and warm pajamas and robes.  they are all hanging outside because I was too tired to take them in.  they say it will be pleasant for purim but it just might rain next week. we need the rain and it is a blessing but it has been a very wet few months.

 I went to Jerusalem on Thursday to visit the kids and stayed for Shabbat.  it was freezing and very stormy.  I was not dressed for the cold at all.  I didn't wear a sweater or gotkas under my skirt and I was wearing tights instead of woolen socks.  I didn't wear boots and my feet were freezing.  I stopped off at the main bus station maul and bought myself a pair of ankle high suede boots.  they were only $27.  on the way back to safed I bought myself a pair of pumps for only $50.  they were also half price.

I have been spending oodles of money on purim.  it seems like it never ends.  I decided to make shepherd 's pies with chopped beef and chicken livers in teriyaki sauce with onions and mushrooms. I may make a quinoa salad.  the Sephardi sister and grandma will bring tons of salads.   I bought a very expensive watermelon, which is definitely not in season.  I didn't get to taste it but the merchant said it was very sweet.  his strawberries have been heavenly.  I hope it will be tasty and special.  and I bought bite size chocolate covered ice-cream pieces.  there are tons of candy tucked away in the closet.

I do not have to work tomorrow.  I stayed late and left shepherd's pies for the yeshiva and a corn soufflé, a vegan chocolate cake and sesame tahini cookies for their supper tomorrow.  tomorrow is a fast day. I am planning on cooking and possibly making hamentashen.  I have been suffering with a headache all day.  I might just take a pill.  I already made up several purim bags of goodies to give out to neighbors. I bought a nutella like spread to fill the hamentashen.  last year I used date spread and it wasn't a big hit.  I would like to make a traditional poppy seed filling but no one here likes that and I am not planning on eating any hamentashen.



No comments:

Post a Comment