Thursday, February 28, 2019

Baby It's Cold Outside 2019

it is 10:00 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  it is freezing in the middle east!  they predict that tonight will drop down to 0 degrees celcius.  that may be 33 degrees farenheit but with the wind chill factor it is much colder.  it snowed a bit up here today.  I thought my soup making days was coming to an end last week when it was warm and sunny.  I cabbed to work this afternoon and immediately chopped up pumpkin, carrots, onions and sweet potatoes and made a huge pot of spicy soup.  I made a  savory  peppery noodle kugel and sautéed a lot of zucchini with onions and red peppers.  I  made a large quantity of tahini and cut up a lot of cucumbers and tomatoes.  I wanted to make an eggless chocolate cake but I ran out of time.  one of the students said the meal was great.  go know?

I made a tuna loaf, rice and baked sweet potatoes for their supper.  I did the washing up and floor and left at 6:30 p.m.  I couldn't add up my hours because I was too tired to see and didn't have my reading glasses with me.  I took the shuttle bus to a small grocery shop in town and bought turkey necks, cauliflower, frozen cherries, sweet potatoes, fresh mint, celery, zucchini and avocado for Shabbat.  luckily, I quickly caught a cab home.  I was too tired to make the turkey neck soup tonight. I  defrosted a small package of chicken livers.  I want to make some chopped liver for dinner tomorrow.  I am still on my diet and trying very hard to shed some pounds.

I bought a can of sour kraut and boiled up a few chicken franks, added some French mustard and I was in heaven.  I cooked up some cauliflower and I am feeling no pain.  the dog got hamburgers and rice for his dinner.  the smell of the hamburger turned me off tonight. I want to make a non gluten brownie for Shabbat.  it is made with eggs, peanut flour, avocados, banana and cocoa.  I need to add either maple syrup or honey.  I might try to skip the sweetener altogether.  perhaps, if I add some natural almond extract it will be okay.  I have been drinking hot chocolate lately without the sugar.  hopefully, the banana will be sweet enough.  maybe, i'll add some frozen cherries and cranberries.  I have been craving something chocolaty for a while, now..

I came to work without my reading glasses today. I use them for everything.  I even watch television with them on.  I cannot eat or prepare food without them.  I thought about running to town to buy another pair but it was hailing for hours and I stayed put.  I don't know how I managed to cook. I know that blind people cook so I don't know why I panicked.  it was a strain all right but I plowed through.  I must remember to leave a pair at work.  I have tons of them.  I bought one for every room in the house.  some times I lose them and then I find them in clusters in the master bedroom.  I need to get my eyes checked out.  I think I may have cataracts.

I have to start getting my medical papers in order.  I need to do a pet scan in april and then go to the oncologist.  I need to do a blood test first to make sure my kidney functions are okay.  I then need a doctor's letter stating that I need a taxi to the hospital one way.  I also need to schedule an MRI of my brain and see the neurologist in may.  before that, I need to do a peripheral vision test.  I need to find a doctor who has enough patience to do all of the required forms in one session.  last year the doctor spent an hour trying to convince me to go on antidepressants.  when it came to writing the letters, she freaked  and refused to spend any more time on me.  I forced her to 'lie' for me and write the letters.  I need to find the time to see a doctor.

 I am usually too tired in the morning to function.  I do not sleep very well during the week.  I usually hang out until I feel like I can actually stand and then shower and cab it to work around 1:00 p.m. I serve 26 young men lunch at 2:20 p.m.  I should write a book on how to make a simple meal for 30 in under 1 1/2 hours.  I usually use dried beans and chickpeas but in my book I will use canned beans to save time.  I think it could be quite fun.  of course, the recipes won't be tested.  I am famous for giving out my recipes.  I am always forgetting an ingredient or changing something like brown sugar for white or vice versa.  maybe I should start a food blog???


No comments:

Post a Comment