Thursday, February 21, 2019

Sunny Days

it is 10:00 a.m. in the holy city of safed.  I woke up without back stiffness and I actually feel rested.  I have no idea of when I went to bed.  I slept through the night without thinking about anything. I just collected all of my dirty and smelly clothes off of the floor and marched downstairs to do a load of laundry.  I was able to tape down the small accordion shaped pipe of the washing machine to the wall.  it has dislodged and was no longer feeding into the sewer pipe, thus flooding the room after every wash load. 

I had no where to hang the laundry as we had very few sunny days.  all of my towels are outside and wet.  I want to throw them all into the washing machine and then hang them on the lines downstairs.  nothing like fresh towels.  I do have a dryer downstairs but I haven't used it in nine years.  it needs a new exhaust pipe, I think.  it is an inexpensive piece but I don't have the patience to deal with it.  I have managed so long without it.

I couldn't find a dry piece of underwear this morning.  I had hand washed a bunch of them yesterday but they were still soaking wet this morning.  I found my son's speedo in one of my drawers and put that on.  I felt pretty guilty and I probably stretched it out but I have to admit it was very comfortable. I managed to find a couple of my underwear outside on the rack so I took off the speedo.  I already miss it.  maybe i'll keep it.  my son probably has bought other bathing trunks.

I only have to make lunch today for the yeshiva.  Yeh!  I think it will be falafel and chips.  when I got to work yesterday, I felt like I had a touch of the flu.  I felt wobbly and my arms hurt. my eyes were runny and I felt nauseous.   I knew I couldn't fry anything.  I was afraid to taste anything, too.  I threw a package of barley into a large pot and added all sorts of spices and water.  I then cut up onions. carrots, potatoes and zucchini.  I threw about 30 small potatoes into the large toaster oven after I pricked each one with a knife. 

I cooked up a bag of chick peas.  I was planning on making couscous with a soup.  I checked the pantry and there wasn't any couscous.  I also did not have enough time to start chopping up the pumpkin and other veggies.  frying falafel was out of the question and I hardly had enough time to prepare much else.  the potatoes weren't done and I panicked.  I took them out of the oven and crudely sliced them up.  I threw them into a huge pot and threw in the chickpeas plus the liquid and added a ton of spices.

I was able to crudely cut up some salad and I opened some cans of tuna and added mayo and pickles.  one of the students said lunch was phenomenal.  go know?  I had some defrosted chopped turkey meat and some leftover oatmeal form the previous day's breakfast so I threw in some eggs and made two meatloaves.  a little bit of  ketchup, mustard and soy sauce goes a long way when you are in a hurry. I had tried to bake some eggplant and tomatoes for the lunch but ran out of time and ended up throwing it all into a pot on the stove.  I decided to leave it for their supper.  I quickly made two bags of rice.  I then opened a huge industrial sized can of olives and threw it into a very hot and spicy tomato sauce.  the Sephardim make this and I love it.

sometime during the day, i popped a dexomol.  I was waiting for it to clear my foggy head.  it didn't.  I did all of the washing up and even scrubbed the cholent pot from the previous Shabbat. I washed the floor and I left at 5:00 p.m.  I added up my hours because I was convinced it was the 28th of the month.  I wondered why I had so few hours this month but I shook it off.  you can imagine how embarrassed I was when the manager told me it was only the 20th.  anyway, I bussed it home and was craving some dairy.  I wanted a yogurt so badly.  I couldn't stop off at the supermarket.  I was that tired.  I ended up boiling up some milk with a few raspberries.  I guess I wanted a warm smoothie.  it curdled into cottage cheese consistency.  it was pretty tasty. I left the curds.

I have nothing in my pantry except for a container of salty peanut butter.  the fridge is empty except for 3 containers of milk???  I am out of  laundry detergent, too.  I am definitely going food shopping after work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment