Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Wednesday All Day

it is 9:00 a.m. in the holy city of safed.  the kids are chilling.  it is a bit windy but definitely sunny.  I am waiting to take the kids to the petting zoo in town.  I already made French fries for the grandson.  I would like to stop off at the post office and pay my electric bill.  I have hard cooked eggs to bring along with us.  we are all recuperating from the epic family barbecue and outing yesterday.  we took three cars and multiple trips to get to the outdoor park not far from safed.  we were picked up at noon and we were returned home at 6:30 p.m. I think I am the only person in that crowd who doesn't drive.

I brought a package of liver, a package of franks and a package of chicken wings.  I would normally eat everything off the grill but on pesach I am very stringent about what I eat.  I do not use spices and I do not eat anything with peanut, soy or corn derivatives.  I do not eat seeds of any kind, also.  they rubbed the grill with canola oil but what could I do? I ate a couple of boiled eggs but I was hungry.  they put my chicken wings on the grill separately but I gave most of them to the kids, who were starving.  I was content to sit and drink my bottled water.  the kids were running around and playing.

there was a huge wooden jungle gym with slides to keep them busy.  they were digging in the dirt and were filthy.  my daughter-in-law would have 'plotzed' if she saw the condition of their clothing.  the granddaughter fell and ripped her white tights.  the grandson's hand was bandaged after having been bit by the aunt's dog, the day before.  it was covered in dirt and I couldn't wait to get him home and cleaned up.  one of the young aunts thought he should be bandaged up again.  I knew that he needed to wash his hand very well with soap and water and apply a few drops of lavender oil as an antiseptic.

I finally got the kids showered and patched up. I let them rent the movie "thor' even though they had seen it already in the movie theater.  they lovingly warned me when not to look. at one point he lost his eye.  they didn't think it was for their fainthearted grandmother.  the six year old granddaughter assured me that it was not real.  we all fell asleep on the floor on mattresses.  I slept between the kids. I think we were all asleep by 9:45 p.m.  that's what hours of barbecue smoke, sunshine, physical activity ,and tons of barbecued foods will do for you.

I am pretty exhausted today, too.  running with the Sephardi clan is an endurance test.  I didn't really do anything.  I simply packed up some snacks and drinks.  I guess I need to barbecue the defrosted liver today.  I hope it isn't spoiled.  tomorrow is the last holiday of pesach.  pesach officially ends on Friday night and we go right into Shabbat   the kids will be joining me for Shabbat meals.  my friend is coming over on  thursday to barbecue some fresh lamb chops.  i'll make some mashed potatoes, I guess.  that will be our holiday meal. 

I don't know what i'll do for Shabbat.  I have more tilapia fillets , plenty of chicken and potatoes to cook.  I might make a turkey neck soup.  I also have chopped turkey to fill frozen artichoke bottoms. I will see how I feel tomorrow.  I am not so keen about doing much today.

ןit is 7:30 p.m.  we got home about an hour ago. I  made another batch of chips for the grandson.  that was his third serving of chips today.  I just peeled a bunch of tomatoes for tomorrow.  we got down to the petting zoo at around 1:00 p.m.  it was closed due to building repairs.  the kids were rather disappointed.  we stopped off at a cheap toy store first. I spent about $12 on action figurines and dolls.  town was virtually closed.  I couldn't find anywhere to buy them a popsicle.  we hung out on some grass for awhile and the kids ate potato chips and drank apple juice.  we caught a bus to the central bus stop.  from there we walked up to the large playground at the city park.

the kids ran around for a few hours until I got tired.  they wanted to visit their Sephardi grandmother.  we walked back to the main bus stop and the granddaughter refused to go any further.  she wanted to go back to my place and chill.  she was tired.  the grandson was relentess about going to his grandparent's house.  we jumped on a bus for about one stop and got off close to the grandparents' house.  we stayed for about an hour.  the granddaughter was out of control.  the grandson was good as gold for a change.  he had bought two sets of tiny lego in a plastic egg and he was happy to put them together.  the young aunt drove us home.  I reheated some franks and the granddaughter lapped them up.

the kids munched on matzah and chocolate spread.  I made myself some chicken breasts and a sweet potato.  the kids are not in the mood for showering.  I can't be bothered anyway.  the parents should be returning tomorrow.  they are doing art projects now and they are in pajamas.  I think it will be another early night.  i'll cook tomorrow.  I think I will make turkey meatballs and serve them in artichoke bottoms.  I plan on making mashed potatoes and fried chicken cutlets for Shabbat lunch. if I get to barbecue some liver I will make it in wine sauce.  and of course, my friend will be making lamb chops for the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment