Friday, April 20, 2018

Ready For Shabbat?

it is 4:30 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  the food is on the electric platter ready to heat up for Shabbat.  the kids are coming to me for the meals.  they were all in Jerusalem for the independence day festivities.  I schlepped to tel aviv on Tuesday.  I got a good report from the oncologist and don't have to see him again until next year.  I think I officially made my 5 years clean.  it took about 5 hours to get home to safed.  I caught a bus to tel aviv in front of the hospital.  it is about a 50 minute ride.  I stopped off at the train station to see schedules.  I was toying with the idea of training it home.  I got confused and panicked and ran across the street to catch a bus.  I waited for about 50 minutes for an express bus.  it usually takes 2 1/4 hours.  it took three hours to get to rosh pina.  I caught a taxi which left me on the main road.

I schlepped up a long hill and stopped off at the supermarket.  I bought popsicles and candy, hot dogs and chicken wings, beer and fizzy drinks, veggies and rolls and chumus and potato chips and marshmallows;  just in case my friends wanted to do a grill for independence day.  I was invited to a friend's house to have pan fried hamburgers.   no one wanted to grill.  I promised to bring over some beers.  I ended up sleeping through most of the day and evening.  it was a bit frightening to be that tired.  I also ended up food binging.  I ate all of the candy and all of the popsicles.  I don't know what happened to me. it was a full fledged binge. it was like an outer body experience.

I went to work at the yeshiva on Wednesday.  it looks like the guys aren't coming for meals.  I have been tossing out tons of food.  it is a bit discouraging.  I know that my food is tasty .  I don't understand the current dynamic.  they used to finish up every crumb.  I took home some cooked spaghetti and kasha.  I made a spinach kugel with the spaghetti for Shabbat.  my daughter-in-law loves kasha.  I will have to chuck out a lot of food on sunday.  I doubt that the guys finished the food.  I didn't want to work on independence day and I wasn't sure if they were having any public transportation.  I made 4 meals on Wednesday.  I caught a taxi home.  I was exhausted.  it was extremely hot and there wasn't any air in the kitchen.  I couldn't find the remote to turn on the air conditioner. 

I felt a bit nauseated by the time I reached home.  I think I was borderline dehydrated.  I ran down to the supermarket this morning to buy more candy, potato chips and popsicles for Shabbat.  I couldn't carry half a watermelon home and I didn't feel like calling a taxi.  I bought a lot of nash for the kids.  I hope I won't indulge again.  I made a simple Shabbat.  I made : mashed potatoes, teriyaki chicken livers, sweet chili chicken wings, fresh corn on the cobb, hamburgers and hot dogs, Moroccan style stewed tilapia fillets with carrots and potatoes, a red cabbage slaw and an Israeli salad.  I bought a small container of chumus.  I wanted to bake a chocolate cake but I didn't have any flour.  I was thinking about using matzah meal.  I think I'm too tired.  I have cookies, blanched almonds, dried apple rings and mini halvahs.  I think no one will miss the cake. and of course we have raspberry sherbet popsicles.

I need to do a quick mopping of the kitchen and dining room floors. I am ready to fall asleep again.  o well....

No comments:

Post a Comment