Thursday, April 12, 2018

So Tired

it is 4:00 p.m. in the holy city of safed.   I just got home from working at the yeshiva.  I got a call this morning to ask if I could come back to work for them.   apparently, there are only 10 guys right now.  I said I would give it a try.  I was absolutely knocked out by yesterday's 'fashion' outing with my friend.  I have been supplying her with costumes for her next play.  we had a field day at the open air market downtown.  we bought a whole lot of things to use for the play.  we had another cast member come over to try on her costumes.  that was at 3:00 p.m.  we had set out at 10:00 a.m. to scout out clothes.

I got my friend set up in her costume but we needed to bring the dress to the seamstress to shorten it.  I had found a fake leather jacket in the street and we took that in to have shortened, also.  I had sorted out another male cast member the day before with 3 outfits.  a Gloria Vanderbilt black dress that I had bought in a thrift shop and worn 9 years ago made an incredible priest's gown.

I appliqued paw prints and French poodles made out of pink felt onto a very punkie looking black dress.  I found the dress years ago at a thrift shop or possibly in the garbage bin..  I don't quite remember it right now.  we have been using it for purim and plays for years.   I used to be able to fit into it.  the current actress couldn't get it closed.  we ran back to the seamstress in town to add more material at 5:00 p.m. when she reopened her shop.  we also took a  very long polka dotted skirt to have shortened into a micro mini.

the seamstress is doing okay by us.  and of course, vice averse.  I do not have the patience or the skill set right now to shorten clothing.  we decided that we needed a red paten leather belt for the blouse part of the polka dotted outfit.  at close to 6:00 p.m. we schlepped to every single store in safed looking for a red belt.  we found a seamstress/dressmaker who was ready to make us a red satin sash but it wasn't a proper belt with a buckle.

at nearly 7:00 p.m. we bought a thin stretchy elastic red belt in a dress shop for only 39 shekels.  my friend had nearly succumbed to buying a rather wide genuine leather red belt for 150 shekels.  the shop owner was giving us a discount down from 200.  luckily, I talked her out of it.  she later admitted that the belt was rather uncomfortable.  we said our goodbyes and I got home at 7:30 p.m.  it was already holocaust day.


the regular television broadcasting is cancelled on this day.  they only view movies about the holocaust and documentaries.  interestingly enough, they did broadcast the BBC. I ate something quickly and pretty much passed out on the t.v. couch.  I woke up to a really dreadful film, 'death in love'.  I was too tired to watch it and too tired to turn it off.

I woke up this morning and felt as if a truck had hit me.  I was tired.  then I got the call form the yeshiva.  I managed to get there without taking a taxi.  the place looked clean and it had been painted.  I quickly started cutting up an enormous sweet potato.  I could barely cut through it.  I wanted to make an orange soup.  I had finally succeeded in cutting up the sweet potatoes, onions and carrots and seasoned it.  the manager came to tell me that they weren't planning on feeding the guys today.  I told him that I thought they had about 6 guys here already.  I got the green light from the head rabbi to proceed and make supper for them.

I quickly realized that they were out of gas.  I went into plan b and c.  I baked a bunch of white potatoes in the oven.  I then took the veggies from the soup and added pieces of cauliflower and zucchini and decided to bake them also.   there were no aluminum tin trays.  I placed the potatoes on the wire rack.  I removed some tin foil off of the electric platter and put it on a baking rack to accommodate the veggies.  I added some oil and broth from the soup to the veggies.   the electric kettle was missing so I didn't know how I could prepare some bulgur.   I took most of the remaining liquid  from the baked steamed veggies and poured it over a pot of bulgur and placed it on an oven rack.  finally, the gas balloon was delivered and I finished cooking the bulgur on the stove.

I made an israeli salad with tomatoes and cucumbers and a bit of tahini sauce.  I didn't mince it really tiny.  I took the electric platter into the dining room to set it up.  it was only 3:00 p.m. and dinner isn't until 7:00 p.m.  the few guys saw the food and I had to tell them that I only made one meal for them.  they didn't care.  they were happy.  it was the first hot food they had eaten in a while.  oh well.......

7:00 p.m.  I went to watch my cooking contest and realized that it is still holocaust day .  that is, for  at least another hour.  I ran outside to hang an Israeli flag.  independence day is next week.  I didn't remember but I actually found a huge flag outside the supermarket last year.  I am early.  there is only one other flag hanging on my block so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment