Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Cable Company From Hell

it is 6:00 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  i have been on the phone since noon today trying to get the cable company to straighten out their records.  two weeks ago, before i got the famous stomach flu; i called the company to get a a better rate.  i have been paying through the nose;as they say.  after offering me a mere $10 discount; i told them to cancel the service because i wasn't working and i couldn't afford to pay anymore.  i probably mentioned that i was a senior and suddenly they offered me a great discount.

actually, it was half price.  it probably was less channels but it was well worth the money.  i needed to simply; supply them with a letter that i was receiving aid from the government for old age. i had gone to town to use a government machine in an office building but i needed a special code and i didn't know where i had put it.  i tried to get it online but i'm awful at these things.  i was lucky enough to have my daughter-in-law's sister here for shabbat. she used to work in the government office and she knew the ropes.

when shabbat ended, she was able to access the code on my smart phone.  she managed to send the letter yesterday from her workplace.  she told me to call the cable company to make sure they received her fax.  of course, they didn't.  they told me to call back on thursday.  when i called yesterday i was told that my identity number, like your social security number; was incorrect.  they insisted that it belonged to a lady in kiryat shimona. 

when i first ordered the cable, two years ago; they told me that i had a huge debt from my internet account in kiryat shimona.  i have never had an internet account with this company nor have i ever lived anywhere besides, safed.  i had to send them a photocopy of my ID and fill out a form to get my name on the contract.  my son ordered the service for me before he left safed.  when the technician came he had my son's name listed on the order form.  i told him to list my name and he said it wasn't a big deal.  for several months the company didn't charge me.  when i called them they told me that my name wasn't on the contract and in order to change it i needed to fill out a special request form.  i waited another two months for the form to arrive.

that was 2018.  as of today, they still refuse to put my I.D. number on my account.  as of yesterday; the account was still on my son's name and my I.D. number was still on that lady's account in kiryat shimona.  i told them today that i considered this identity theft and that i was contacting a lawyer.  i also threatened to cancel the payment at the bank.  no one gives a hoot. no one can pronounce my name there.  the closest is golda.  i started screaming yesterday like a banshee.  i called my son in a rage. he already isn't so cozy towards me because he says i'm too sarcastic with him.

he was at work and couldn't care less.  he told me to call them back.  they wanted me to go to the post office to fill out a form..  i refused and told them that i was high risk for covid and wouldn't be leaving my house.  they sent me a digital form.  i can use a smart phone now.  i entered my I.D. number and of course; it sent me back to the office.  i spent another couple of hours on the phone and called them every curse word in the world.  i told them to cancel the service. they said i couldn't cancel because the contract wasn't in my name. this is where i started to scream again.

they sent the digital form to my son.  my son didn't even fill it out.  i called him this morning and told him he had to send it back to these crooks.  he asked me to send a picture of my I.D.  it took me a while to master my phone camera.  i sent him a video.  he said he couldn't send it.  i finally sent him a very lopsided copy of my picture I.D.  they called me at noon to say that they received the forms.  they still haven't seen the fax from the national insurance company.  i've probably already been billed this month at the higher; full rate.

i am beside myself.  this has taken all of my energy for two days.  if i had any chocolate or cake in the house i'd drown my sorrows and go on a binge.  i refuse to gain weight over this.  if i had any money i would go to a lawyer.  i am very disappointed with my son.  i know that this problem isn't earth shattering but it is too much for me to do on my own.  i don't have much going on these days besides my t.v. shows.  when they hear my american accent they automatically transfer me to someone else; who either hangs up on me or puts me on hold for half an hour.  today they transferred me to an 'english' speaker who couldn't speak a syllable in english.  i am truly worn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment