Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thursday Night

it's 11:00 p.m. in the holy city of zefat. the kids just went upstairs and sahar finally fell asleep. i started my babysitting stint this morning at 8:00 a.m. zvi brought him downstairs as soon as gal left for work. i needed a little time for myself. i needed the bathroom, a coffee, and to get dressed and then i was ready to go.

sahar was extremely whiney and uncomfortable. he couldn't drink his bottle because he's teething and he was really over tired. he pulled an all nighter last night. i put him into his stroller and despite his screaming to get out, i rolled him around the neighborhood until he passed out. the poor baby caught roseola from his cousin mendush, who came for dinner last week. sahar had a fever of about 103 for the past few days and was really not himself. yesterday, his body was covered in a rash. that's how we knew that it was roseola and not just the teething. today his face was covered in a rash. zvi was pretty upset that his cousins brought mendush over while he was sick.

according to the books, after the initial 3 day fever stage the body rash continues for another 3 days and it is non - contageous at this point. sorry doctor spock, but i have to differ with you. apparently, it's viral and there's nothing much to do about it except to bring down the fever.

in the afternoon, after his nap, sahar woke up in good humor. he smiled and actually wanted to read his book and sit on the floor. he has been attached, literally, at my hip for the past few days and my back is killing me. he suddenly had his appetite back and i was able to shovel in cereal, banana, yogurt, and baby fruit sauce. he also had tons of bambas too.

i took him to the local supermarket while he was asleep and he woke up and started crying. i quickly ran to buy some more bambas. i bought way too many items, and i didn't know how i was going to schlepp it all home on the stroller. i was very lucky that my next store neighbor came in at that moment and drove me home, groceries, stroller and all. i was afraid that i might not be able to fold the carriage but i managed. when we got home, i had another coffee and sahar had more cereal, banana and bambas. he also drank a bottle of apple juice.

his parents didn't come home until 9:00 p.m. i was just beginning to get a bit worried. sahar was desperate to nurse and go to sleep. he did not want another bottle of formula. no way! gal hadn't eaten all day so i quickly made some whole wheat spaghetti and a salad for her. i thought that i had to take care of the baby tomorrow and i was a bit pressured to start cooking and do the laundry. luckily, gal informed me that she was not working tomorrow so i decided to call it a night.

she offered to buy the chicken and challah tomorrow. this will save me from having to go out. thank goodness, the house is nearly immaculate. my cousins are planning a quick visit tomorrow. they always come before shabbat and leave right before it begins. i want to do most of the cooking early so i can clean up my bedroom and do the laundry. i want to make up for last week's fiasco.