Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The Old Grey Mare

it is 4:00 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  I ran around a lot today but didn't get all of my errands accomplished.  I ran to the hospital in the morning.  that "run" involved catching two busses.  I first went to the clinic to ask if they could call the technician at the eye clinic and have him fax them the  results of my peripheral vision test.  I took said test back in august and lost said results sometime after.  it's not like me to lose medical papers.  I didn't even remember taking the test.  the neurosurgeon ordered it back in july.  I am going to do an MRI of the brain right after pesach and I will be seeing the surgeon shortly afterwards.  I asked the young lady at the clinic last week if she could decipher, from their records, when I took the vision test.  I also asked her if she would call the hospital for me and ask if they would fax the results to their office.  she said it couldn't be done.  I think she said it was 'unheard' of.

I called  the hospital myself and spoke with the technician yesterday.  it took him quite a bit of time to find it.  he offered to fax it to me but I do not have a fax machine at home nor do I have access to a fax machine in the immediate neighborhood.  today, another lovely lady clerk, did call the hospital for me but they couldn't get in touch with the technician ,who was saving the results for me, on his desk.  I requested that he not bring the results into the office for I feared that they would lose them.  the secretary from the hospital told the secretary at my clinic that they would mail it to me.  I wouldn't hold my breath.

I ran to the bus stop and caught the bus to the hospital.  I wanted the results in my hand.  I got there and as soon as the technician opened his door I stormed in.  the ride back to town was awful.  I was squeezed into a crowded van filled with baby strollers and ultraorthodox women and men.  I got out in town and walked to my friend's home.  it was already 10:30 a.m. and I hadn't had even a cup of tea yet.  my knee was aching and it was difficult navigating uphill.  I had a snack at my friend's and showed her a costume for her upcoming play. 

today was open market day and I would have liked to look around but it was hot and I felt unwell again.  I saw a bus going up my way and immediately jumped on.  I got back to my neighborhood about 1:00 p.m. and stopped off at another friend on the next block.  she lives close to the bus stop.  I had another snack and cup of tea and limped home.  I stayed on you tube for about an hour and then ran out to catch the bus back to town to pick of the grandkids.  I didn't have enough time to buy bread or something for dinner for them.

when we were waiting for the van to take us home I suddenly realized that I wasn't supposed to pick them up today.  their mom came a moment later, luckily, before we entered the van and drove me home.  I felt like such a dodo.  tomorrow I have to get them from town early as they are officially on vacation.  are we having fun yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment