Friday, March 2, 2018

Getting Ready For Pesach 2018

it is 11:30 a.m. in the hoy city of safed.  I have been spending all morning getting the house back in order after the Purim meal.  I was way to inebriated last night to do much of anything.  in fact, I didn't really realize how wasted I was; having spent most of the day, sitting.  I used disposable plates so the wash up isn't that awful.  it's mostly coffee cups, serving dishes, wine glasses, pots and pans and serving utensils.  I decided to wipe down the shelves before I put everything back.

I ended up chucking the rest of the antique porcelain china serving trays, from a life that was once, very long ago.  I actually do have enough space to store them but why should I hang on to them?  I never use them.  I take them down once a year before pesach to wash them.  I can hardly lift them.  maybe people in the 'old' days, before plastic and disposable paper goods; were stronger than our present generation.  my mother used to display some of them in the living room.  we weren't allowed to touch anything nor sit in the living room except when company came.  we did have a playroom.

nowadays, my grandkids use every room in my house as a playroom.  the living room is the main playroom.  I'm actually happy that they do.  I never used the room except for torah classes and sitting shiva.  my grandson has taken to use the master bedroom as his quiet space after school.  we use this room now for sleepovers.  Tiny, the dog, has also taken it over as his bedroom. he spends most of his day in the costume closet but he retires at night to the master bedroom.  I store my clothes, jewelry  and linens in this room.  it has an adjoining bathroom, where I shower.  the kids use the regular bathtub in the main bathroom.  too much information?

I also tossed out two, enormously heavy, glass pitchers.  none of my friends could lift them up to pour.  I bought a slender plastic one with a lid.  it holds the same amount and can easily fit on the side shelf of the fridge.  I tossed out the three remaining heavy glasses that belonged to one of the pitchers.  I never use them.  they kind of repulse me.  I  still have a few remnants of the porcelain china set on the top shelf.  they are kind of on display.  I think that's enough.  I wanted to clean out the silverware drawers but I think it will have to wait.  I'm thinking about tossing out my uncle Nat's silver cutlery set that sits in a wooden box in the living room antique dresser.  I had wanted to sell it but found out that it was silver plated.  I do not have the patience to polish any of this set.

I think that everyone, except for the Sephardi grandfather, enjoyed the Purim meal and spontaneous break out dance party.  he didn't' exactly approve of the music.  it wasn't your traditional, orthodox Purim songs.  at one point, my son and his two brother-in-laws put on costume hats with attached side locks and were dancing in a circle with the other two brother-in-laws who do have real side looks.  it was lovely to watch.  at he end of the night, my granddaughter took central stage.  she is an amazing dancer and performer.  she's only six but I believe, that she could win a talent show.  she had us all in stiches.  he daughter-in-law broke loose and seized the mike.  I never knew she could sing.  go know!

I tried to get them to dance in the living room but they were all very happy to be in the kitchen.  I managed to clean up the downstairs laundry room to create a large space for dancing but no one made it downstairs.  I wonder if I will be able to host another Purim in my house.  I gave away most of the hamentashen that I made.  I think that they were tasty but I'm supposed to lose weight.  I didn't put them out on a platter.  I served each individual a small plate with a hamentashen or two with a cup of tea.  I guess that's why I have a sink full of  dishes to wash.  I do love to play hostess once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment