Thursday, May 2, 2019

Holocaust Day

it is 12:00 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  it is holocaust day in Israel.  the siren rang about an hour ago.  I usually dread this day because there is an interruption of the cable television broadcasting. as I am completely reliant on television, it usually results in my watching holocaust movies all night.  last night I discovered that I could order movies for free.  I watched 'the zookeeper's wife'.  I have been waiting for a while to see this film.  I read the book.  the film was wonderful.  it was not as dreary as your average Nazi movie.  afterwards, I watched 'gotti' with john Travolta.  I have no idea why they were presenting this amongst all of the holocaust films presented.  it was pretty awful and I fell asleep during it.

I went to bed, exhausted.  my new sofa is rock hard and very uncomfortable.  I had run to town to pay the vegetable store cash and to get a baby gift for my neighbor's son.  I had shopped before pesach at a fruit store in town because I wanted to avoid the crowds at the supermarket.  I had left my wallet at home with my cash and credit card and I only had my checkbook.  most stores accept checks.  this store didn't and they expected me to return the next day with the cash.  it was storming for days and I was busy finishing up with the pesach cleaning.  I couldn't get away to go to town.  I managed to go to town after the first holiday ended.  the store was closed for pesach.  I felt guilty all the time.  I finally made it to town yesterday and the store seems to have not reopened.  it actually looks abandoned.

my neighbor invited me yesterday to join the family on Shabbat day for a bris and the meal afterwards at the local serphardi synagogue.  I didn't know if I should give the couple a check or buy a present. I called my son to ask which is more appropriate in the Sephardi world.  he suggested a cute gift.  the very expensive baby gift store is right across the street from the fruit store so away, I went.  it was very hot outside and airless.  I do not fair well in this kind of weather.  it was the first time that I got up and dressed all week long.  it felt very weird.  I had wanted to buy a bunch of fruit to do a diet/ cleanse.  I managed to buy a small cantaloupe and some cottage cheese at a nearby food shop.

I bought an adorable little jeans outfit for the baby and got two small gifts for the baby's siblings.  I spent a lot of money.  I also got my electric bill.  it was astronomical.  it was truly a hard winter.  I had all the heaters blasting throughout presach.  it was hailing for days.  as hard as it was navigating in the cold and rain, it was still easier for me than dealing with this heat. I think that I will be able to pay the electric bill soon.  I found some cash. 

I have to go in later today to make an evening meal for the yeshiva.  it will be the first time I return there after a month's break.  it also feels very weird.  I do not feel energetic.  it is very overcast outside and looks like rain.  this change in the barometric pressure is not doing me well at all.  I feel sluggish and headachy and just out of sorts.  I felt like this all week long.  I just can't seem to wake up from this foggy state.

No comments:

Post a Comment