Friday, May 5, 2017

Almost Shabbat Again

it is 6:30 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  it is almost candle lighting.   I was invited to join my son and family for dinner but I am quite sick and haven't been able to function today.  I couldn't get out of the house to pick up my granddaughter from kindergarten in this neighborhood, either.  I was in bed until a little while ago.  I have felt congested lately, and I chalked it up to the change in weather.  I started sneezing the day before and thought it might be an allergy.  I came down hard today.  I didn't feel well yesterday but I forced myself to get to the bank and pick up my new checkbooks.   my bank card was declined in two cash machines up here so I thought I needed a new one.  I was at the bank for a long time and did not have the patience to stay.  I walked out and returned a bit later.

I went to the oncology unit with my friend on Wednesday.  I waned to lend my support.  his wife was having a musical rehearsal for a new ladies' play.  I am not quite sure that I want to get involved in this play.  so far I've just been a soundboard and gave over my impressions; most of which were negative, i'm afraid. I spent a lot of time listening to the musical choices and adding my own.  it took a lot of energy.  I think it hurt my throat to talk so much.

last night I felt like I may drown in my own phlegm.  I couldn't really lie down because I was spitting up so much.  today I felt feverish and my back hurt.  now I'm coughing.  I heated up some soup for tonight's meal..  I tried eating a bit of couscous and potatoes and felt sick to my stomach.  my sciatic is acting up, too.  I am quite miserable.  I don't even have a headache pill in the house.  I am going to try to take a hot shower if I can stand up.

the pincher dog just came in with a dead bird and ate most of it before I could grab it out of her mouth.  I drank a cup of hot chocolate a little while ago and it made me quite nauseous.   now I am drinking a hot cup of water laced with powdered ginger, lemon juice and honey.  I hope I can get it down.  my throat is very scratchy and I am afraid that I will be in for the long haul with this infection.

my head is heavy and I think I will just go back to bed and sleep.  I left the food on an electric hotplate in case I get hungry lately.  I am really fed up with being sick.  it is going to be a hard Shabbat being alone and not seeing my friends tomorrow.  I doubt that I will make it to services at the local Sephardi synagogue.  oh well.....

No comments:

Post a Comment