Monday, April 17, 2017

Pesach Ends

it is 9:30 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  pesach ended about an hour ago.  a couple of friends came over and we shared some torah insights and drank some wine and ate some matzah.  it is traditional to drink another 4cups of wine reminiscent of the seder.   I managed to drink two.  I ate a ton of fresh fruit salad.  my body needs to detox.  I am currently a bit inebriated.  it is not easy typing.

I got to taste my friend's charoset which was made with cooked dates and a banana and I got to taste my daughter-in-law's father's charoset which had peanuts in it.  it seemed irresistible until I actually, tasted it.  it was nothing special.  it's funny how the forbidden and unknown is so enticing.

I haven't cleaned up yet and don't think I will tackle anything until tomorrow.  I do not have a lot of washing up because I used mostly disposable dishes and cutlery this year.  I have only one fry pan to scrub and of course, I have to clean the pesach stove and put the oven back into the hutch in the living room.  I have a lot of matzah left.  perhaps I will make matzah brie later on in the week.  I need to buy eggs.

I do not have any leftover food except for a bit of chopped liver and some salads.  I am proud of how I planned and prepared for the holiday.  I got to rest today, which was nice.  I went to a later minyan at the local chabad bomb shelter this morning.  I had to say the traditional mourner's prayers for my deceased parents.  I got back at nearly 1:00 p.m. and had the meal with my friend.  it was considerably, warmer today.  I slept in the master bedroom last night and today.  the bed is not all that comfortable but it was clean and airy and somehow I could not bare to sleep on the t.v. couch one more night.

I woke up with a headache.  I did drink a bit of wine last night.   sulfates are a killer.  I also had nightmares.  however, I was very comfortable sprawling out on the bed.  I must go back immediately on my diet.  my niece's wedding is in June and I got to get slim.  my friend brought over produce from a moshav that she received for pesach.  I dread looking at potatoes.  I still have some palm oil left so when the kids come over I will make more french fries for them.  the palm oil industry may be responsible for wiping out the rain forests but they do make one heck of a good frying oil.

I didn't eat any chocolate, cake or potato chips during pesach.  I  did hit those three pretty hard before the holiday.  my food last night was a big success.  everyone left stuffed.  I had a pretty hard time sleeping.  my stomach was way too extended.  I am looking forward to eating less now.  no more holidays until Shavuot when we hit the cheesecake and lasagna.  it is a bit sad that pesach ended.  we work so hard for only one week of pesach.  it should be longer.  in the states they do have two more days.  I almost miss that.

No comments:

Post a Comment