Thursday, November 29, 2018

Getting It Together

it is 7:30 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  I've been home for hours.  I went to the local supermarket this morning and spent over $200.  I needed to get staples for my friends who are returning from the states.  I also bought a lot of food for a friend who dog sits for me.  I am needed in Jerusalem next week.  the kids are going off for a vacation to eilat.  they have a brand new cat and are very worried to leave it alone.  the grandkids have day camp even though it's Chanukah.  I will try very hard to cook up extra meals and leave them for the students on Wednesday and Thursday.  I already told them that I will be gone on the following Monday and Tuesday.  I hate taking breaks from work but after that epic 9 hour 'banquet', I am genuinely tired and cooked out.

I came in to work at 1:00 p.m.  I had a taxi take me home first from the supermarket and then to my friend's home and last, to the yeshiva.  it looked like there was already food there.  there was leftover food form an event last night and some leftover dinner that I made.  I took a platter of cut up raw veggies and added an Italian dressing over it.  I put the leftover lentils and pasta on the electric platter.  I was really tired and felt like cabbing it home right there and then.  I threw some tomatoes and onions and red peppers into a pot and added olive oil and some spices and fresh garlic.  I added a couple of cans of tomato paste and cooked it for awhile and then pureed everything.  I added a bit of soy milk to make it 'creamy like'.   there was tons of leftover rolls and a giant fancy mousse cake.

I individually bagged the rolls and placed them in the freezer for next week.  the manager said to use them for bread crumbs but they were still quite fresh.  he was going to put the cake out for breakfast bit I froze it instead.  let them have it as a treat on sunday night, the first night of Chanukah.  it's a custom to serve dairy besides all that fried food.  I am intending to make a lot of potato latkes for their supper.  as apples are very expensive, I will buy canned applesauce and spice it up.  I think i'll make a thick pea soup, too.  that ought to fill them up.  I will make a greek salad too.  I can't really add cheese as the kitchen is not dairy.  I will figure something out.

I cooked a bit of spicy, saucy chicken already and made some brown rice and sweet potatoes and placed it in my friend's fridge. I also broiled some chicken wings.  I had some leftover turkey neck soup from my thanksgiving Shabbat last week.  I defrosted it and strained it so there wouldn't be any mushy veggies.  I thought about making a cholent but I think that I will make a small shepherd 's pie instead.  I can share it with my friends, if they have arrived in the morning.  I am beat and will call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment