Friday, November 16, 2018

Not Just Another Shabbat

it is 2:30 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  my son and family just stopped by to say hello.  they came in for Shabbat.  we are going to do a small family birthday party for my granddaughter on Saturday evening when Shabbat ends.  they are staying with the Sephardi parents.  my house is freezing so it is quite kokay that they aren't sleeping here.  I am also relieved not to have to cook for Shabbat.  I brought home some buckwheat that I made at the yeshiva.  I boiled some eggs and I will open a can of tuna for lunch.  I will join the family for dinner at the Sephardi family's home.  I will get a ride there but the real issue is how I will schlep back to my house.  it is pouring in safed.

it is such a blessing to be receiving so much rain that no one can actually complain about the weather.  I will wear a long coat, and my winter boots.  I will make sure to take an extra scarf to cover my head.  if I am lucky, it will stop for a while so that I can walk home.  I am leaving on two heaters in case, I do come home wet.  at least I will be warm, more or less.  this is a huge house to heat.  my back and hip are acting up.  I am struggling with the pain.  I will take a hot shower in a moment.

I ran to town to buy party goods for tomorrow.  I spent about $30.  I wanted this to be special.  it's her first birthday since they moved to Jerusalem.  and the family cat, who was only two years old had to put down yesterday.  the poor thing had a  blood clot and became paralyzed.  he was a very expensive pet.  a grey cat similar to the fancy one that taylor swift has.  these cats do not have a long life span because the folded ears is a defect and they mostly suffer heart problems.  there should be a ban against breeding such pets.  my son and wife are devastated.  this was the first animal that the daughter-in-law bonded with and truly loved.

he had a really good life in Jerusalem.  he spent most of the day outside.  I am not a cat lover but I feel bad for the family.  I had to put two of my dogs down last year. they were old but terribly bad off.  it is so hard losing a family pet.  it seems like it is always just before Shabbat when it is very difficult to get a doctor. all four of my dogs either died or were put down on a Friday afternoon.  the kids bought my granddaughter a talking baby doll. it is the scariest and cutest thing I ever saw.  she moves her lips when she talks and laughs and rolls her eyes and waves her arms back and forth.  what technology!

I stopped off at the local discount toy store and got the kids a bunch of toys.  I bought a Barbie-like car for dolls and two cheap dolls.  she does have a real Barbie back in Jerusalem, that she found in a second hand store.  I actually, bought the second doll for her cousin who had a birthday recently. I thought they could play together.  alas, she wasn't giving it up.  I bought a star wars doll and a small robot for my grandson and two bay blades for their cousins, which my grandson kept for himself..  whatever...I did spend about $70.

I really do not feel like venturing out again in this weather but I think that I must join the kids for dinner.  I need to shower and get myself in gear.  Shabbat shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment