Friday, June 14, 2019

Why I Love Fridays

it is 5:30 p.m. in the holy city of safed.   Shabbat candle lighting is at 7: 20 p.m.  I made a Shabbat meal for myself.  I ate a bit of it already.  I got up early but couldn't really do anything.  my back and legs were pretty stiff.  I have been walking a bit lately.  nothing truly strenuous.  ten-fifteen  minutes here and there.  it is a shame as I was an avid walker.  I really let myself go this past year.  my feet swelled up from the intense heat and my back has gone a bit sciatic.  I am trying to lose the weight.  I started eating more recently.  I was doing the south beach for about three weeks and I kind of lost my appetite.  well, it came back with a vengeance with my puffy stomach.  I started eating bread and I guess, I don't do well with carbs.

I went down to the neighborhood supermarket to buy some fruit.  I got hooked on eating frozen grapes.  I bought cherries, honey dew melon and grapes.  they were no near as tasty as what I bought for Shavuot.  I only had a bit of fruit on Shavuot because I couldn't deal with the sugar content after doing the south beach.  I must say that I got over that and ate a lot of grapes the other night.  I think I will go back to the south beach on sunday for another two weeks.  I also stopped drinking a lot of water.  I am consuming way too many calories to lose weight.  I am still doing the intermittent fasting at night and it has saved me from binging a few times already.  by the time I return from work I hardly have much time to have a proper dinner.  I have been stopping to eat by 9:00 p.m.  I know that most people do not eat at that hour.  I can go all night long and I usually go to bed around 2:00 a.m.

I made 2 chicken breasts with fresh mushrooms for Shabbat night.  I used fresh lemon and a drizzle of olive oil.  I already ate one of the breasts.  I am actually stuffed.  I also made a salmon fillet.  I had one for lunch and I had a slice of whole wheat raisin challah with cream cheese for breakfast.  I also ate a small box of cherries.  I have beets for later.  is there any wonder why I don't lose weight?  I heard from a couple of people who got thin that they increased their fat intake and did away with the carbs.  I need to lower my calorie intake, seriously.  I will get back on the wagon next week.  at least, I didn't indulge in any cheesecake or tiramisu over the holiday and I didn't eat any lasagna.  I stuck to the cheeses and veggies and olives.  I tried to stay away from salt because my ankles were so swollen but a girl has to eat.  I still haven't had any butter on my bread.  I have not had more than two slices of bread a day. I've had one slice in the morning and another slice for supper.  next week there will be no bread.

I just did a couple of loads of laundry.  I have a huge amount of bedding to do from pesach.  I didn't feel like going outside to hang it as it was very hot.  I am very tired today.  I worked almost 7 ours yesterday.  the heat is debilitating and the yeshiva kitchen is airless.  I am thoroughly depleted.  I must drink more fluids.  I have been frying a lot of foods lately.  I made nearly two hundred falafel balls and about 2 pounds of French fries the other afternoon.  I made tons of corn fritters and hamburgers, too.  my legs are caving in on me.

the daughter-in-law invited me to come for Shabbat next week.  we spent a lot of time together talking on Shavuot.  they are coming next week for a bat mitzvah in the next town and will spend the night.  I went out to buy treats, chocolate milk, eggs, and more cheeses and fruit. I bought more gifts last week. I still have frozen waffles for the kids.  I better buy a few veggies on sunday.  the daughter-in-law likes her salad.  and I guess, I need some bread.  I bought apple juice concentrate for the kids. my friend comes to baby sit my dog and I have to keep the freezer full for her.  I have frozen grapes and watermelon.  she loves her shakes.  I also have lots of chicken and hamburgers.  I left a piece of lasagna and a piece of tiramisu, too.

this year my lasagna was stellar.  I used mozzarella and ricotta for the first time here.  it was so much better than cottage cheese.  the sauce wasn't runny.   I also used Italian tomatoes.  the tiramisu also turned out great.  I made it alcohol free and used all natural almond extract which tasted like marzipan.   only one friend didn't like it because she is not a marzipan fan.  I tempered the egg yokes over a double boiler this time.  even the teriyaki salmon was a hit.  the only thing not touched were the cheese blintzes.  I put them back in the freezer.  my grandson had one but then he ate anything in sight.  all in all it was a lovely holiday.  I forgot how exhausting watching kids is.

No comments:

Post a Comment