Saturday, June 1, 2019

Sleepless In Safed

it is 4:00 a.m. in the holy city of safed.  Shabbat ended at 8:30 p.m.  I thought I had a good chance of going to bed at a decent hour because I only napped for about an hour or two.  I have been popping antibiotics and pain pills all of Shabbat.  my gum was so swollen that I couldn't open my mouth fully last night and eating a crusty piece of challah was nearly impossible.  I am happy to say that the swelling has definitely gone down.  I started to get my appetite back and intermittent fasting tonight was challenging.  I had to eat a spoon of peanut butter to take my antibiotic. in fact, it is time for my next pill.  So why am I still awake?  I didn't drink any caffeinated drinks all Shabbat.  it's been days since I had a tea.  it's been just too hot for that.

I finally turned off the television at 2:00 a.m.  that's after I read that Syria had fired two rockets into the hermon.  I can see the hermon from my window.  we are talking about half an hour away from safed.  but that isn't what really kept me up.  a couple of minutes ago I got out of bed to look up Shavuot trivia questions to grill the grandkids and give out prizes.  I also started fretting about my menu and even venue for the holiday.

after checking out the weather forcast which predicts even hotter days for Shavuot I kind of lost my sleep and mind.  should I set up the upstairs apartment for the kids to sleep?  are mattresses sufficient or do I need to drag up the bed frames?  should we have the meals upstairs?  the apartment is air conditioned?  should I move upstairs for the summer?  should I tell the repairman that the new screen door is already riddled with small holes?? should I run out and buy a small air-conditioning unit for the kitchen?  and how exactly could I pay for one?

is the gardener coming this morning?  what can I make for the yeshiva's dinner today? what recipes do I have for eggless cakes? should I forget about the tiramisu and make one for my birthday,  which is in a couple of weeks?  should I ask my daughter-in-law's sister and family to join us on shavuot night? should I buy more ice cream or ice popsicles?  should I eat the camembert cheese for breakfast?  should I buy more prize gifts for the grandkids?  and now the sun has appeared here in the middle east and I am still awake in the holy city of safed.  I just remembered that I don't need to make lunch today so I will have the full day to recover and rest. Amen!

aftermath:  it is 9:30 a.m. in the holy city of safed.  the gardener just left.  we had a schmooze and coffee a little while ago.  it isn't broiling yet.  there is still a slight breeze outside.  i just spoke to my daughter-in-law. miraculously, I got her in a public place.  they have no cellphone reception in their home.  I gave her options.  now I need to speak with the son.  I found an antibiotic on my kitchen table.  I think I didn't take it at 5:00 a.m.  oh well.........

No comments:

Post a Comment