Thursday, June 6, 2019

Countdown To Shavuot 2

it is 11:30 a.m. in the holy city of safed.  I just got back from the neighborhood supermarket.  I made a marble brownie Tofutti cheesecake for my manager for Shavuot.  his son is lactose intolerant.  I wanted to make a non dairy cheesecake for awhile.  after choosing several recipes, I decided to stick to brownie bars.  I wasn't sure how the Tofutti cream cheese tasted.  I had read several disappointing reviews online.  I got up pretty early today to make the brownie bars and a small keto cheesecake for another coworker.  I was project cheesecake this morning. 

I was just about to put the pan of Tofutti brownies in the oven to bake and I tasted it. I was curious how it tasted.  too my utter shock, I had used salt instead of the sugar.  I threw the pan out and ran down the stairs to buy more Tofutti cream cheese, eggs, cocoa, chocolate bars, coconut margarine, and vanilla extract. Guess what? I found American natural almond extract there.  I came home and hurriedly made a new batch. they are in the fridge cooling a bit.  what a disaster it would have been had I not tasted it.

the keto cheesecake looks okay but I hope that the texture isn't gross.  I added a tablespoon of potato starch and perhaps it was too much for a little cake.  I  also substituted mascarpone cheese for the cream cheese.  I went to the large supermarket after work last night to buy cream cheese and to buy almond extract.  I had walked in the direction of the health food store in town yesterday to buy the natural extract.  it gives a strong liquor flavor and this guy doesn't use any sweeteners.  I figured it would compensate for the lack of sweetness.  I  like it on my cottage cheese.  I got distracted and forgot that I was on my way to the health food store and went on to the bus station to go home.

wen I reached the bus station I remembered that I needed to go to the health food store.  I jumped on a bus that took me to the large supermarket which is across the way form the brand new large health food store, that i have been meaning to check out.  I made a mistake by going to the supermarket first.  I met someone I know and we schmoozed for quite awhile.  I bought ground peanuts to make a tahini crust for the keto cheesecake and got distracted and checked out before I bought the cream cheese.  by then the health food store was closed so I taxied home without the almond extract and cream cheese.

 I didn't want to go back to the supermarket this morning so I used the mascarpone cheese that I had bought to make the tiramisu and added sour cream.  i ended up adding a bit of lemon juice and the regular Israeli imitation vanilla extract.  I also cut up half of a 72% dark chocolate bar into little pieces and added it to the mixture.   are we having fun yet?

I just tasted the sides of the marble Tofutti cheesecake and the chocolate tasted bitter and unsweet. I panicked.  I thought I had forgotten to add sugar to the brownie and I was just about to chuck it into the garbage bin when I remembered that I had dusted the baking tin with cocoa.  go know? I am dressed and showered and ready to go to work.  I will have a tea first and then call a cab.  what a morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment