Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Ruby Tuesday

it is 5:p.m. in the holy city of safed.  I just got home from town.  a friend of my daughter-in-law's family, gave me a ride home in her brand new shiny car.  I had a twenty minute wait for my bus when she saw me.  I went to work early this morning.  the guys were taking a 4 hour hike to Meron.  I needed to make sandwiches for them.

the grandkids slept over left night.  I placed mattresses on the t.v. room floor for them and I fell asleep on my loveseat, as usual.  my grandson finally conked out at 11:00 p.m. and I was asleep by midnight.  I got up at 6:00 a.m. to let the dogs out.  my friend left her dog here last night.  she had to be out of town for the night.  I have babysat her dog for years.  she often brings her here for Shabbat and the dog is very comfortable here.

I thought I was out of dog food but I didn't have the strength to stop off at the supermarket down below, before I left for work.  my dog hardly eats it anymore.  luckily, there was a new bag of food in my pantry.  I didn't even remember buying it.  I got a lift to work this morning, too.  Tuesday turned out to be a good news day. 

I got confused and thought I needed to make about 30 sandwiches.  there are about 16 guys currently at the yeshiva.  I opted to make omelets. my only other choice was tuna fish and I thought that in this heat it wasn't the  safest way to go.  I wanted each guy to have two sandwiches.  after I had made about 36 of them, the rabbi came into the kitchen to let me know that there were 30 guys going on said hike.  I had one of the students run to a local store to buy me more eggs.  I made another 24 sandwiches.

I made myself an assembly line.  I used 6 eggs for every omelet and cut those into quarters.  I made four sandwiches at a time. while the next omelet was cooking, I placed the sandwiches in baggies.  I did this for about an hour or so until I had 60 sandwiches.  I sliced tomatoes and opened an industrial sized can of pickles and another one of ketchup..  I got the plates, napkins, utensils, cutlery, cups, salt, oil and onion organized.  I put all of the pitas and snacks in one bag and organized the turkey schnitzels, franks and veggies in another.  I even seasoned the schnitzels.

they decided that I needn't make dinner for the guys.  the few guys who didn't go on the hike were a bit bummed out that I wasn't making supper for them.  I thought about making a cake but I ran out of time and energy.  I still had pots and pans to clean from the Shabbat Kiddush.  they had been soaking for days.  I ended up working for 4 hours.  that's being on my feet for hours, once again.  I don't ever sit while I cook or do prep work.

I am going back to the Japanese restaurant with a few gals tomorrow for my friend's birthday.  I have to go straight from work.  I am pretty smelly and dirty after cooking.  I don't know if I will have enough time to go home first.  I guess it depends if I manage to go in really early.  I think it will be tuna loaf, carrot kugel and sweet potatoes for tomorrow's lunch.  I might fry turkey burgers if I have enough eggs.  I used a major amount of eggs this morning.

it looks like I will have the grandkids with me from Thursday to sunday.  the daughter-in-law needs to find a school for them in Jerusalem.  I will have to go in early again on Thursday.  I told my friend that I would go with her to the hospital for a biopsy.  perhaps, I will be able to do some extra food tomorrow morning.  rice, macaroni, buckwheat groats and bulgar take little time to cook.  I just need tons of strength.


No comments:

Post a Comment