Monday, June 18, 2018

Blogging Now

it is 6:00 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  it has been quite a while since I last blogged.  the month of june has been a blank.  I have been falling asleep in the early evening and awakening at 10:00 p.m.   I stay up until around 4 or 5:00 a.m. and rest until I go to work.  it's been pretty weird.  I am now cooking for 16 or 18 young men. I haven't quite found the correct amounts to cook yet.  so far, I don't believe anyone has complained.

yesterday, I arrived to find the kitchen in total disarray.  there wasn't an inch of clean space for me to work.  I spent almost 5 hours washing plastic containers, utensils and serving bowls.  the sink was backed up and I couldn't clear it because I had so many things to wash.  I couldn't wash anything because I had no room at the sink.  it was a horrible catch 22.   apparently, the yeshiva had hosted about 150 people for a Shabbat day Kiddush.  the boys consumed a great deal of wine to boot.

the guys had left out tons of food unrefrigerated.  I actually tasted most of the food to determine if it was fit for human consumption.  I took out a ton of macaroni and roasted veggie salad and managed to make a quick spaghetti sauce to cover it.  I thought about throwing in a can of tuna but I didn't really have the space to open up a huge can of tuna.

I put out a tray of left over roasted veggies, a tray of quinoa, and a huge platter of macaroni.  it looked like baked ziti.  I found some left over salads to put out and I cut up some melon.  after I put out the lunch, I started the enormous washing up.  I felt like Cinderella.  it was endless.  I finally finished washing everything and scrubbed down the counters.  I fried up about 40 turkey schnitzels.  I left the macaroni on the electric platter as well as the quinoa.  I think I cooked up some rice and roasted some potatoes.  I couldn't wait to get out of there.

I headed back to town by bus, as I was too tired to walk the short distance.  I went over to a trendy indian- like clothes store.  my friend gave me a gift certificate for about $60.  I couldn't find  anything to fit me.  I had bought a lovely pair of silver earrings the week before, for my daughter-in-law's mother.  I wanted to buy another pair for my friend, who has a birthday on Shabbat.  I bought her an indian suede handbag and a very silly looking silver shopping bag with red metallic lips.  I plan to take her out to a restaurant on Wednesday.

I bought myself two turbans and a cotton printed blouse from the gift certificate. I also bought myself two blouses in another store.  they are all indian, very large and cover my enormous belly.  I desperately need a couple of skirts.  I will look at the outdoor market place on Wednesday.  I only have three jeans skirts.  my wardrobe is seriously lacking.

my daughter-in-law took me and the grandkids to a Japanese restaurant on Wednesday night.  I sprang for Belgium waffles and ice cream afterwards.  I am still not eating sugar but I haven't dropped an ounce.  I must do something drastic.  I think I have to drop the carbs for awhile, too.  I have never ever been so fat.  I am not happy with myself.

I am too tired to walk.  after I return from work, I collapse.  my back is usually tight.  it's funny that I didn't feel tired yesterday.  I didn't get home until nearly 8:30 p.m.  I slept well and even did my dishes from Shabbat and washed my kitchen floor before I went to work.  I made a vat of veggies and a spicy sauce to put over couscous.  I used sweet potatoes, white potatoes, squash, onions, red peppers, carrots and cabbage.  I also made a green salad and added some leftover hard cooked eggs.  I served a small squash soufflé with the meal and put out some melon.. 

I made two medium sized shepherd's pie for dinner.  I used canned corn.  I didn't have any peas and carrots.  I only made one tray of roasted eggplant.  I don't think I made enough for dinner but I had to leave to pick up the grandkids.  tomorrow morning the guys are doing a hike and a barbecue afterwards.  I need to make them sandwiches for the hike and get them sorted out with utensils, disposable plates, cups, and napkins.  I have to pack everything up.

the last time they had a barbecue, I had to make a couple of hundred burgers.  I only need to pack up some franks and schnitzels for tomorrow.  I left out a frozen box of about 100 schnitzels on the sink.  I hope I will be able to separate the schnitzels in the morning.  I plan on making omelets for the sandwiches.  hopefully, i'll get in early to do all this.  I will have to leave them dinner.  I think it will be tuna loaf.  we will see how I feel in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment