Sunday, January 1, 2017

Only In Israel

it is 8:00 p.m. in the holy city of zefat.  I had an appointment to see my G.P at 9:00 a.m. this morning.  I knew there wasn't enough time to heat the water before going so I skipped my shower.  I got up at 8:00 a.m.  I was tired from Shabbat.  the gardener was here so I ran out to give him a cup of coffee.  that always leads to a nice conversation and before I knew it, I was already late for my doctor.

I decided to cab it and ended up waiting over a half an hour anyway.  I needed to discuss these borderline ST changes on my EKG and it looked like I might have a urinary tract infection.  although I didn't have any discomfort, the numbers were off the chart.  the doctor said that the ST changes wouldn't effect the surgery but I should avoid doing any intense exercising; as if that might happen, any time soon.  he also suggested that I do an echogram.

 I ran to the nurse to do a urine culture.  the results will only be in on Tuesday afternoon and I will be at the hospital meeting with the nurses and anesthesiologist.  it's okay.   my insurance carrier has an office at the hospital and I was planning on getting there a bit early to check out the test results.  I realized that I did not do the urine test correctly. I forgot to use the wipe.  anyhow, I just got back the results of today's urine test and it's right on the money! so I need to go back to the office tomorrow and get a copy of the good urine test.

I pulled out the letter from the hospital about being admitted for surgery and noticed something about bringing blood.  I asked the secretary to clarify what it meant, and I was informed that I needed to bring proof that 2 family members or friends had donated blood to the national blood bank.  I was taken aback for a moment. suddenly, a lady came up to me, in the hallway, to offer me her blood. it was surreal.  it turns out that she was a close friend and neighbor to a mutual friend of mine.  she wanted to help me.  however, no one knew where one can donate blood.  we were sent back to the nurse and she had never heard of such a thing.

we called the paramedics and they didn't know.  I don't recall if we called the hospital in zefat.  finally, this lady called my hospital and was told that a mobile unit visits each town.  as it turns out, the mobile unit is coming to zefat on Tuesday.  I asked this lady if I could give her a big hug.  only in Israel will a stranger offer you her blood.  I exchanged phone numbers with the lady and ran off to town to do the echogram. I had completely forgotten that I had left the dogs outside to run to the doctor.  I guess, I had expected to come back right away.

I got an appointment to do the echogram on January 16th.  I go to the hospital on the 17th.  apparently, I will get the results on the spot.  I thought it was rather strange to be in town without my pocketbook and spending money.  I had forgotten that I hadn't planned on going to town.  I ran to the party store to buy a bunch of soccer themed items for my son's birthday.  he turns 30 on Tuesday night.  I ran out of money and had to go back into town to the cash machine.  I bought myself slippers for the hospital stay.

 I stopped at my son's gallery to let him know that I need him to donate blood.  my son has a long history of being afraid of needles and blood tests. I knew that he wouldn't be able to do this. I had thought that in this case, he might muster up the courage to, but in the end, his father-in-law will donate blood in his place. he feels a bit ashamed, I'm sure.  a mother would not hesitate.

I stopped off at my friends' house to inquire about the MRI results.  I believe he was staged at 2.  I, on the other hand, was never told my stage by any of my doctors.  ignorance is bliss.  my friend was nervous about her husband not being given a date to meet with the radiologist.  her husband was bent under the sink cabinet fixing a clogged pipe and was busy barking orders at us to turn on the outside hose.  I took the initiative and I called the hospital on their behalf.  I'm good at being a pest.  I finally got through and was given the date.  I wish I could go with them for their first appointment but they are staying over at relatives and I will have to report to the hospital the following week.  it may be a bit too much travelling for me. it's definitely a dilemma.

in the meanwhile, my daughter-in-law called me to reassure me that they were planning on being with me 24/7.  they will stay with me until they know I am safe and in a good place.  we will all have to sit down and discuss the logistics after I see the anesthesiologist.  I have to say that it made me feel loved and cherished.  I am resigned to my fate, whatever that may entail. I have given it up to a higher power.

No comments:

Post a Comment