Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Come Back In 6 Months

it is 4:00 p.m. in the holy city of zefat.  I just got back from my gyn/oncologist appointment in Tel Hashomer, a small city near Tel Aviv.  I left by taxi at 6:00 a.m.  my appointment was for 9:15 a.m.  of course, I didn't sleep a wink last night, for fear of oversleeping this morning.  it was very dark and very cold and wet this morning.  it wasn't much warmer in the center of the country.  I read on line that they had foiled a plan by the Arab head of cleaning there to organize a few terror attacks.

I took a boiling hot shower at around midnight and watched the recent British 'x factor' into the wee small hours of the morning.  I felt a bit nauseous when I got out of bed.  I had a strong cup of black tea and away we went.  traffic was pretty decent and I got to the hospital before 9:00 a.m.  after travelling for nearly 3 hours, I was told at the front desk that my doctor wasn't coming in today.  I nearly had a meltdown.

 I have been seeing this top doctor through the clinic for 3 years.  I learned very well at the beginning not to settle for a substitute.  I actually left the women's clinic twice when he wasn't there.  both times I had other appointments with either the radiologist or neurologist.  I was getting ready to get up and go back home at 9:30 a.m.  I was trying to figure out how I could wangle another taxi ride back from my health insurance carrier.  I was called into he doctor's office at around 10:00 a.m.

I was so very relieved to see the doctor.  I had about a ten minute exam and I was finished.  he gave me a clean bill of health and told me to come back in 6 months.  I asked him if he was planning on retiring.  I was fixating on never seeing him again in the outer office.  I don't think I could trust another gyn doctor to touch me.  this man is an angel.  he is the kindest and nicest doctor,ever.  he is the top man in his field and in this hospital.  I had to fight really hard to get in to see him from the start.

I thought that I might have a hernia because I have been experiencing some discomfort around my naval lately.  I couldn't see my navel the other day and got a bit panicked.  I'm not one to run to doctors so I waited t see my gyn this morning.  I told him that I hadn't had any sugar in 2 months but still, haven't managed to get he belly fat in check.  he told me that I needed some physical exercise.  he didn't seem that patient, either.  I thought about rescheduling my appointment for when I was thinner but in the end, I decided to go while the weather was decent.

I asked my son to buy me some Chanukah candles from the zefat candle factory to give to the doctor and his assistant.  the ever wacked out secretary wasn't here today so I gave the doctor two packs of designer candles.  it cost around $25.  I think it's a nice gesture.  I believe that Chanukah starts on Monday evening.  the third day of Chanukah is the 7th year of my mother's passing.  last year I made a latke night for some friends.  I don't know what I will do this year.  the little kids will be home for the entire week and I will probably have them here with me.

money is also a problem, once again.  my daughter-in-law's nephew is having his third birthday next week and his first haircut.  in the past I made chocolate lolly pops with a picture of a scissors and a number 3.  I don't think I can afford to make them this year and I doubt that I will have the energy.  last few times it took about 3-4 hours.  the doctor asked me about my energy level.  I was too tired to tell him how truly tired I am all the time.  he asked about my bowel movements and appetite.  how embarrassing!  just one look at me and you can see that I have no problem with my appetite.

my nephew and wife came back from the Ukraine, where they were running a chabad house, to have their first baby girl.  they are staying in Rehovot, which is just a bus ride away from the hospital.  I  would have liked to go and visit them but I didn't have their address.  my sister was supposed to call me last night to coordinate the details.  she travelled yesterday.  perhaps she did call while I was downstairs with the grandkids but she didn't leave a message and I don't have her cell number.

the taxi driver was very accommodating and offered me a good deal to travel home.  I considered having him drive me to Rehovot but I didn't have my sister's phone number with me.  oh well....  that's par for the course with my baby sister.  she only recently let me know that her daughter-in-law had returned to the country to give birth.  of course, I wasn't told beforehand that they were expecting.  I got a text announcing the birth.  she never uses the phone for personal calls.  when my daughter-in-law was giving birth my sister called the hospital 5 or 6 times even though I promised to call her as soon as the baby was born.  she never let me know once in 4 births that my niece was in labor.  she's funny that way.

I took a 45 minute bus ride back toTel Aviv and caught a 2 1/2 hour express bus back to Rosh Pina.  I then took a 15 minute local bus ride back to my neighborhood.  I stopped off at the small supermarket and bought 6 kilos of dog food which was half priced.  I actually schlepped the dog food home and didn't call a cab.  that's 13 pounds of dog food.  I also managed to carry home 3 bottles of beer too.  my son needs beer at the end of his working day to relax.  yes, I am an enabler.  when he has had a particularly depressing day at the gallery he is MIA, leaving me to put the kids to sleep.

it was supposed to start storming today but the day ended on a very warm and sunny note.  I passed out on the bus ride home and woke up for the rest stop.  I got a cup of tea but it was too hot to drink.  I had some before we got back to zefat.  I ate a ton of roasted peanuts while I waited for the bus in Tel Aviv.  I guess I should have something for dinner.  I probably have a can of tuna in the closet.  I'm way too tired to cook.  I wonder if the kids will be joining me for Shabbat.  I was hoping to go to my friends but they are going out of town for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment