Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Dining In

it is 6:00 p.m. in the holy city of zefat.  tonight is my unofficial birthday party.  last night the kids took me out to Tiberius for a fish dinner.  everyone was tired and the kids were more interested in their toys than their meals.  no one was relaxed and it was not pleasant.  it was hot and not at all pleasurable to be by the sea.

the kids spent a fortune and of course, I felt guilty.  it wasn't really a celebration.  we didn't laugh or even smile.  the three year wined throughout the meal for a toy she wanted.  everyone was stressed out.  no one had a good time.  I wanted to treat the kids to a pony ride but their parents were tired and wanted to get back to zefat.  I would have loved to have a dessert or something ceremonial for my birthday.

in all fairness, it wasn't really my birthday.  tonight is my birthday.  I am having a few ladies in that I have never met.  a mutual friend invited them to meet me.  I've been working all day long to create a party meal.  I made a turkey chili that is really not very good.  I also stewed some chicken wings which aren't that great, either.  I made a pitcher of sangria that isn't so special.  I think the cherry liquor gave it a cough medicine like taste.  I do have beer on hand if anyone wants.

I made a corn bread which could have been a tad sweeter.  I made a salsa and an egg salad to start the meal.  I also have a tabouli salad which I just made.  a friend returned from the states a little while ago so I invited her to come for dinner.  she doesn't eat anything with oil or mayonnaise.  I opened up a can of corn.  she doesn't eat tomatoes and cucumbers so I only put red pepper in the tabouli.  I had wanted to make a guacamole salad but there weren't any avocados in the supermarket.  I just fried up a few turkey fingers for starters.  I'm tired.  I can't imagine hosting anyone .

I sampled the sangria and I feel like I'm going to go to sleep.  my daughter-in-law has to work late tonight and my son has a wedding to go to.  I can't take on the kids tonight. tonight we're dining in.  I fried up a batch of schnitzels for the kids and brought down a coleslaw and corn salad that I made for tonight.  who knows if anyone will eat anything.  the kids went off to a kid's birthday party.  I need to chill out and take a cold shower before the guests arrive.

aftermath:  it is now 11:30 p.m.  I just finished the dishes. it was a small crowd.  we started the meal at 8:30 p.m.  a couple of gals came at 7:00 p.m. and we drank sangria until the others came.  I put out the turkey fingers and a couple of salads while we schmoozed.  the sangria was very tasty.  at 6:30 p.m. I added a lot of sugar and squeezed out the juice from the orange slices.  that seemed to do the trick.  it was a big hit.  I had about 5 glasses myself.  I wonder how i'll feel tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment