Thursday, April 9, 2015

Erev Chag

it is 2:00 p.m. in the holy city of zefat.  tonight is the second chag of pesach.  the holiday ends on friday night.  the granddaughter is sleeping and the grandson is drawing on his blackboard next to me.  I finished the cooking.  I made an avocado and egg guacamole, a potato salad, a cole slaw with cabbage, apples and carrots and fried chicken wings.  I used the mayo dressing but had to doctor the salads.  it was a bit too salty and sharp from the horseradish.

I tried to make a chocolate sauce from cocoa, oil and honey but it became inedible after a few moments.  I had wanted to make a chocolate bark with the leftover almonds, walnuts and dates but it wasn't meant to be.  I actually made two batches and both ended up in the garbage can.  what a waste of walnut oil and honey!  oh well....  I'll  just serve the nuts and peeled dates as a nash and i'll put out some chocolate squares for those who imbibe.  I have brownies and marble cake and a friend is bringing macaroons.  we won't suffer. I hope the poached pears are good.

i'll serve the lemon and honey chicken for Friday lunch and again for Saturday lunch.  I have spicy fish and chicken soup for Friday night.  i'll probably have some meat leftover, too.  I have tons of salads and I think we'll all eat well.  I made jello with canned pineapple pieces for Friday night dessert.  i'll use the rest of the pineapple for a fruit salad for Saturday lunch.  I may go out for Friday lunch.  I can't believe anyone will be hungry on Friday night.  we have a holiday meal after services on Friday and another nash in the late afternoon which is called the "feast of the Messiah". 

it was a truly joyous holiday this year.  I could use a nap.  the granddaughter just got up and is crying.  I hope the parents come home soon.   Happy holiday! and a good Shabbat to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment