Thursday, July 26, 2012

The End Of A Long Haul

it is 9:00 p.m. in the holy city of zefat. i just left my son's place. i was babysitting both kids since 3:00 p.m. i couldn't take antoher minute. i needed to see my house and let the dogs out. i left this morning at 8:00 a.m. it has been a really long week.

i spent seven hours cooking on sunday, on monday and on tuesday. i left yesterday at 2:00 p.m. i actually, worked for 4 hours. i couldn't stand any longer. i felt at the verge of a physical collapse. i actually, had a dizzy spell, when i got home. luckily, i got a ride home from the bus stop. i also got an offer for a rental.

my plumber bought a house in the area and was able to sell his house very quickly. the only problem is that he has to vacate in the next two weeks and wants to rent the downstairs for a year. as much as i need the money, i can't see myself giving up my privacy and backyard for an entire year. i love to entertain downstairs and i love to hang out downstairs with my grandson. i'm just not ready for that type of committment, yet.

i spent the entire week baking goodies for the yeshiva. they were finishing up tracts of learning and i wanted to help them celebrate with cookies and cakes. i felt very joyous being part of their simcha. i worked very hard making eggless cookies from tahina and from peanut butter. the menu plan this week was meatless. i fried up fish and served up tons of the dreaded breaded frozen prepared fish sticks, too. today, i made very hot and spicy teriyaki like fish fillets. i made soup all week long, too. i cut up tons of tomatoes and cucumbers. i can hardly bend my fingers in my right hand.

i got cnfirmation today that word of my cooking 'prowess' has spread far and away in the yeshiva world. this is so cute! i had guys lined up today to eat lunch at the yeshiva. the kids were on a break this week but not me. i cooked up a storm. i think i made more food than ever before. there were less kids and they ate more. i stopped saving the peels. the guy in charge of the compost garden, split. i have to admit that it saves a hell of a lot of time throwing the peels directly away into the garbage. i don't even feel guilty.

i got to work at about 8:30 a.m. and made a vat of macaroni. i had wanted to make jam out of sour plums from a friend's tree, but it didn't happen. i went to the supermarket and bought a cheap jam to spread on to my cornbread. it wasn't at all sweet. i made a quick breakfast of boiled eggs, melon, red cabbage salad, chumus, and toast. and then i ran off to the seniors' center. i wanted to blow them off but i couldn't.

as it turned out, i was badly needed to cover during a staff meeting. at 12:30, i made my exit. there were two other helpers and i needed to finish up cooking. i had to babysit at 3:00 p.m. i made lunch which consisted of fish, rice, cole slaw, and veggie soup. i left at 2:00 p.m. i posted instructions about the night meal and wished everyone a good shabbat. i waited for the bus for over 40 minutes.

each day this week, i baked an extra cake for the guys to break the fast on sunday night. i managed to freeze left over rice and chili beans and brown rice with lentils. i made eggless cornbread, chocolate cake and oatmeal bars, too. that is for starts. if they are still hungry they can always order pizza. i did my best. i don't have to come in tomorrow or sunday. i am free!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment