Saturday, August 5, 2023

Falling On Hard Times

it is 9:00 p.m. in the holy city of safed. shabbat ended a little while ago.  i am expecting friends to visit for a few days tomorrow.  i did a huge washing of the floors yesterday afternoon.  i can't remember exactly how many buckets of soapy water i used. i was sponging water out of the house for hours. i cleaned the counters and put away the pots and pans. i made baked sweet potatoes, broiled salmon fillets, chumus, a huge green salad, and braised chicken with leeks and kale. i didn't get to bake my cickpea flour banana and  blueberry muffins.  i had buckwheat rice cakes and peanut butter for a morning snack.  i didn't really miss the muffins. i even bought some dried dates. the stores were out of the organic ones.

i spent about 3 hours at the pool on friday.  it was quiet and empty at around 10:00 a.m. that's when the older swimmers do their laps.  the kids don't start emerging until around 1:30 p.m. it was so delightful.  i hated to leave.  i stopped off at the local supermarket to buy some dairy products.  i got home at 2:00 p.m. and began my food preparation.  it didn't take long.  i had some frozen chicken and spelt noodle soup defrosting while i swam at the pool.  it was a pleasure to come home to a cooked meal after the pool.  everything was under control and i was feeling pleased with myself.  at around 7:00 p.m. i lit my shabbat candles and went into the kitchen for something.  i slid on a puddle of soapy water and took a nasty fall on the hard tiled floor.  i got winded.  i lay on the floor for a moment and the dogs came to my side.  i used my hand to break the fall.  this is not the best thing to do; i realized afterwards.

i was in a considerable amount of pain.  i found it hard to breathe.  my rib cage was aching.  i took the dogs out for a walk.  i wanted to go to my neighbors to ask their daughter, a nurse, if i needed medical attention.  i dreaded going to the hospital on shabbat night.  i didn't know how i would get home if they discharged me.  it is about an hour and a half walk on a good day.  i was getting scared.  i was sure the nurse would pressure me to go to the emergency room.  i decided to go back inside.  i found my trusty bottle of arnica oil and applied it to the sore area.  i went to lie down for a bit.  i got up not easily; and went into the kitchen to eat my shabbat meal.  i made the kiddush and had a sip of wine.  i ate a tiny piece of a spelt pita and went back to bed.  i was nauseous and tired.  i managed to sleep for awhile.

i got up at around 10:30 p.m. and was hungry.  i ate all of the kale and leeks from the braised chicken and went back to bed.  i had a very good night's sleep.  i got up about 6:30 a.m. to walk the dogs.  i was in a lot of pain.  my friend's husband was on his way to the synagogue and saw me holding my side. i told him i had injured my rib cage after a fall.  he wanted to pray for me for a total recovery and he told his wife i had broken my rib cage.  my biggest fear was that i might wake up during the night and not be able to breathe.  if it wasn't shabbat i would have googled the symptoms. luckily, i woke up and i was not struggling for air.

i have applied the arnica oil several times today.  i didn't need to take a pain pill.  it smarts when i inhale or laugh but otherwise i am doing all right.  i was able to do my daily 45 minutae walk at 7:00 p.m.  i hope that i will be able to clean the upstairs apartment tomorrow. there is a huge parquet floor to wash and a porch area and bathroom.  if i cannot then my guest will have to.  i doubt i will be able to schlepp any mattresses.  its a miracle that i am on my feet. i am very grateful to be in my own home tonight. i might just watch a bit of t.v. or go back to bed and continue reading my murder mystery.  a good new week to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment