Friday, September 6, 2019

Shabbat Shalom

 it is 6:00 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  it is about a half an hour from candle lighting.  I made Shabbat lunch for about 35 people at the yeshiva.  I prepped most of the food yesterday and came in this morning to finish.  I made two separate pots of traditional beef stew that stays on the electric platter all night.  I got canned garbanzo beans and navy beans which made the job easier.  I added barley and white potatoes and at the end I threw in some sweet potatoes.  I kept on tasting the stew and it was sweet so I kept on adding salt.  I finally realized that I wasn't really adding salt.  I had grabbed a bag of sugar instead.  oh well...

I made  a huge amount of pasta salad and a quinoa salad with craisins and roasted peanuts.  I also made an egg salad and a large amount of tahini sauce.  I mashed up two industrial sized cans of tuna with some mayonnaise.  I cut up several packages of herring into bite sized pieces and added hot peppers.  I couldn't do anymore so I left the raw vegetable salad for the manager to do.  I cabbed it home at 4:00 p.m.  I worked for 4 1/2 hours.  I was truly tired.  yesterday I worked for 6 1/2 hours.  the yeshiva guys were happy to see me today.  they expect an exceptional lunch.  sorry to say that I made very basic Shabbat food and nothing exotic today.  I would have liked to make a cake but I simply ran out of time.

at home, I  broiled two chicken bottoms for myself and the dogs and made a piece of salmon in the toaster oven.  I cooked some fresh string beans, white rice and a pot of black beans.  they are actually still cooking. they take so much time.  I am ready to shower and relax.  I will pop off to bed early tonight.  that's if the new puppy lets me sleep.  she is very hyper on the bed. wishing you all a good Shabbos.

No comments:

Post a Comment