Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Shavuot Is Coming

it is 8:30 a.m. in the holy city of safed.  I haven't blogged in a while because I have been too tired.  I have recently had to take care of the grandkids while the daughter-in-law worked part time.  we are once again, in the middle of a heat wave which doesn't help.  I was very busy with the play and costumes and I am happy to tell that they were a huge hit.  I will be posting some pix soon.  I want to find a good shot of the famous appliqued pink poodles and paws dress.  we had a cast party the other day and I did a mock tony ceremony and gave out statues that we bought in the toy store.

I went on line and studied every aspect of the tonys.  I learned way more than I wanted to.  my friend and I had also worked out some shtick to do.  as soon as I started to read my presentation I got a blinding headache and I thought that I might pass out.  I was sure that I was having an aneurism.  it still is sore today.  I have another MRI soon so if it is my tumor acting up I will know.

I wanted to clean the house today but I am too hot and too tired.  working at the yeshiva is very hard.  I stand on my feet from 4-5 hours each day.  yesterday the rabbi decided to make a set menu.  I tried to explain to him that it will only work if the kitchen is stocked.  it is hard to make an egg dish when there are no eggs.  I hate to be limited to a menu.  I need to be free.  I don't want to make shakshuka every Monday morning.  on the other hand, I made a mushroom soufflé yesterday and it wasn't really consumed.  the corn bread wasn't eaten up either.  I tasted them both.  they were yummy.  the soufflé was a bit bland but still they didn't want any part of it.

the main problem is that growing men need a lot of protein.  in the past I cooked for vegan and vegetarian guys but this crowd wants meat and chicken.  we give them meat only on Shabbat day in a mixture of potatoes and barley.  there isn't any fish or chicken there.  we have too many hot dogs and minced turkey.  it is hardly filling.  it makes my job a bit hard.

I am going in early today to buy some fruit for the guys for Shavuot , which starts on Saturday night.  I also want to make a non baked cheese cake with biscuits for them.  it is customary to eat dairy products.  I spent a true fortune on dairy and fruits.  I am planning on making a cheesecake and a lasagna.  I also want to make a spinach quiche.  I bought two kinds of prepared ravioli.  I bought tons of fancy yogurts and puddings.  I think I over did it.  I do not have a crowd coming.  it will be just my son and his wife, the two grandkids and a friend.  oh well.....

we bought ingredients yesterday for the kids to make their own non bake cheesecake.  we will make it when we come back from their school.  we will leave it in the freezer until Saturday night.  it beats making slime.  the kids probably will want to go to town but I will be to tired and hot.  I took them to a theater production for kids the other day.  it was a small fortune but they won't be around much longer.  the family is moving to Jerusalem.  I enjoyed the show because I got to see professional costumes and set designs.  the kids were bored and tired.  they will at least have the memory of having gone with me.

I seem to be spending money faster than I can earn it.  I don't know how much longer I will be able to work.  between the heat and the recent rain storms I needed to cab it to work.  I have been too tired to take the bus.  my legs ache and I seem to look a lot older these days.  I get treated like an old lady.  it isn't really a bad thing.  taxi drivers help me with my bags and kids give me a seat on the bus.  it is what it is.

we in Israel have been celebrating lately.  we had an historic victory in the Eurovision song contest, an embassy move to Jerusalem and a miraculous defeat of  Iranian forces in Syria.  I cannot predict the immediate future but I am loving the recent success.

No comments:

Post a Comment