Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Are We Happy Yet?

it is 9:00 a.m. in the holy city of safed.  I have been schlepping chairs all morning to get ready for the Purim festive meal later this afternoon.  the fast day started at sunset and ended at 6:00 p.m.  since I haven't been eating after 8:00 p.m. I ended up fasting until 7:00 p.m.  I felt a bit lightheaded in synagogue while hearing the megilah.  I realized that it wasn't really the fast that was getting to me.  I suddenly remembered going to bed at 4:oo a.m. that morning.

I did all of my cooking yesterday during the fast.  I made chicken liver teriyaki, sweet chili chicken wings, spicy turkey meatballs and potato kugel.  I also made black bean veggie hamburgers for the Sephardi grandfather who doesn't eat meat.  I had two when I broke my fast.  they were terrific.  looked like meat and had quite a punch.  I think I added a spoonful of cumin and one of chili flakes.  it turns out that the grandpa eats meat on purim. go know!

at 8:00 p.m. I made some hamentashen.  I found a recipe online using coconut oil.  it actually works like shortening.  I had forgotten how sticky the dough can get, especially with the coconut oil. I added more flour and played with it until it formed a good dough.  I used prepared date spread from the supermarket.  I also bought chocolate spread.  the isreali's love chocolate hamentashen.  I grew up with poppy seed, prune and apricot hamentashen.  my mom made the best.

I got into costume at 9:00 p.m. and ran up the block to the Sephardi synagogue.  I thought they were having a party and I wanted to see the grandkids in their costumes.  the synagogue was dark and definitely locked.  I ran home and made another batch of hamentashen using whole wheat flour.  I halved the recipe and got about 13 cookies.  they all pretty much kept their shape.

I already broke my diet and ate 4 hamentashen.  oh well....

I have to get to the synagogue in an hour to hear the magilah again.  I made a pitcher of sangria for me and a couple of gal pals but I'm way to tired to drink any now.  I went  to bed after 2:00 a.m.  I am pretty exhausted now.  I still need to schlepp down a small table from the upstairs apartment.  perhaps my son will help, later.  I doubt it, but one can always hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment