Thursday, September 14, 2017

The NewYear

it is 1:00 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  my friend's dog woke me up about 5:30 a.m.  I could not  rouse myself out of bed.  finally at 6:30 a.m. I took the 3 pooches out.  the pain in my ear and jaw came back.  I am beginning to think that it may be time to get the tumor out of my head.  I  started to clean the house for Shabbat and, of course, for the holidays.  I put away the food I made yesterday for Rosh Hashanah.   I cooked a small piece of beef in sweet wine and I made some spicy chicken and turkey meatballs.  I decided to make a small batch of spicy beef meatballs; so as I cleaned, it cooked.

I know a lot of people who don't like to eat 'leftovers' straight out of the freezer.  I don't tell anyone anymore when I cook.  I am not working next week on Wednesday but I still wanted to get a head start on the food preparations.  I am too tired right now to make a few honey cakes.  I have a banana chocolate chip loaf in the oven.  the kids are too tired to make Shabbat for themselves so I am hosting them for Friday night.  I just made a pot of very spicy chicken soup for tomorrow night and the traditional Sephardi spicy red sauce fish.  I used tuna and tilapia this time.  I like my tuna.  I made potato salad, tomato relish, spicy hot carrots and beet salad.  I am planning on making humus tomorrow.

I went food shopping yesterday.  I bought the various traditional veggies and fruits that we use for the holiday.  and of course, I bought the two most important ingredients, honey and a fish head.  we use beets and beet leaves, carrots, pumpkin, leeks, apples, black eyed peas, pomegranates, dates and fish for the pre meal ceremony. each food is dipped in honey.  one year I made a fourth of a sheep's head.  the kids were turned off.  only my grandson and I tried it.  it was yummy.  the Sephardi grandma makes lungs.  it's really tasty.

I haven't decided if I am going out for a meal yet.  I am invited to join the clan but it will be super noisy.  I don't know if my friend is coming with her dog or not.  it is a pretty long holiday.  it goes right into Shabbat.  we are talking seven meals from Wednesday night til Saturday night.  that's four days together.  I am not looking forward to this at all.  some people cook on Friday morning after services.  I am hoping that I will have enough food so that I won't have to cook.  I don't mind making salads but I don't like being on my feet in the kitchen after standing at services all morning long.  I have to make a dinner meal for the yeshiva on sunday.  it is a fast day.

I kind of ran out of money.  I usually make a cheesecake but I think i'll skip it this time.  I don't know if I have enough veggies to make it through the holiday.  I have enough time to shop next week.  I already bought a ton of rolls.  they are in the freezer, of course.  I may make a kugel or two if the eggs last.  I didn't buy drinks.  I can always ask the kids to get some.  I have lots of grape juice but I don't have any wine.  my son is usually in charge of getting choice wine.  I cleaned the upstairs apartment so the kids can have privacy.  they may even bring their cat.  I want to clean the master bedroom soon before I go to work.  are we having fun, yet?


No comments:

Post a Comment