Friday, October 1, 2021

What's Going On?

it is noon in the holy city of safed.  the holiday of sukkot ended on tuesday night.  i was sick on the second part of the holiday.  the kids were here.  this is the holiday where the men dance with the sefer torahs.  it is a happy time for the jews.  we no longer eat inside our sukkahs.  the kids get loaded with sweets and the men; with liquor.   the women as always, cook the festive meals.

at the end of the past saturday night; i got hit with a stomach bug.  it was awful.  i found myself trying to sleep on the bathroom floor close to the toilet.  i spent about 6 hours in and out of the bathroom.  i finally fell asleep in my bedroom at around 5:00 a.m.  thank goodness for adult diapers!  i haven't felt well since.  i have been nauseous and headachy ever since.  the weird thing is that i didn't lose my appetite.  i suffered throughout the holiday being with everyone.  the kids; pretty much; got along and there were no major meltdowns but my head was hurting the entire time.  

i managed to get to the local synagogue in the evening to watch a bit of the cerebration.  i wasn't as fortunate the next morning.  i stayed in bed for most of the day.  the kids came in and out of my house all day long.  the toddler made his way up the stairs all by himself and let himself in to visit with me and my dogs.  it did give me some joy to see him; despite my aching head.  even when a couple of the boys were playing ping pong on my dining room table; i was glad they were here but suffering from the noise.  i thought that i might have covid yesterday.  i tried calling around to find where i could get tested but i didn't have the energy to go anywhere.

as soon as the holiday ended; my son disassembled my sukkah.  it took him less than an hour.  it took me 4 hours to assemble it by myself.  i don't know how many trips up the stairs i took to bring up the rods and wood.  both sukkahs; huge and small; were put away in the shed for next year in rapid speed. it was surreal.  it felt so empty. we spent the entire week eating and sleeping in them.  i didn't sleep in mine but i did eat most of my meals in it.  the weather was lovely this year; no strong winds or heavy rains to move us out of our temporary homes.  i spent a lovely day by myself in my 2x2 meter sukkah.  it was so relaxing and quiet after the chaos of the actual holiday.  the dogs also joined me in the sukkah; lying on a blanket.

it was cool enough without the fan.  i ate and called friends on my smart phone and video chatted with the grandkids.  i even read a novel.  it was bliss.  i had a few female friends come by for meals.  it was so nice.  i did a lot of walking and enjoyed seeing all of the sukkahs on the streets.  people were out late in the night.  i went to visit a friend and hung out in her sukkah on shabbat.  i enjoyed some grapes and potato kugel and then went back home for my shabbat meal.  i was feeling no pain until saturday night.  i haven't left the house except to walk the dogs, since.  i did manage to get an hour walk in last night.  

i thought about getting a covid test this morning  but i actually felt better.  it was the first day in nearly a week; that i woke up without that headache.  i could actually focus and function. i called a friend and had an actual conversation.  the pain in my head is slowly starting up and i am feeling 'heady' once again.  i will take a dexamol tablet and start to make some food.  i want to make a big pot of chicken soup.  i already defrosted wings and thighs.  i have onions and carrots and sweet potatoes.  i couldn't find any celery last night.  i am not going to schlepp to the supermarket today.  if i continue to feel unwell on sunday; i will get the covid test.  i am hoping that a restful shabbat will help.


No comments:

Post a Comment