Sunday, October 20, 2019

Home Alone Simchat Torah 2019

it is 3:00 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  I got up pretty early today because I didn't nap on Saturday afternoon.  the weather was truly lovely and I sat in my sukkah with my friend all day.   I didn't feel like being alone in the sukkah on Shabbat so I called my friend to come.  she recently returned from the states and has been coughing up a storm.  I had a pot of chicken soup ready made and I quickly made a beef cholent.  I had only one potato left but I had a bag of wheat so we had a feast.  it was cold on Friday night so we ate pretty fast and retired to the dining room for tea and fruit.

I made it to synagogue in the morning but I felt dreadful.  my head ached and my eyes were burning.  I didn't stick around to see if they were doing a Kiddush at the end of the service.  the cholent was waiting for me and it was quite yummy.  I added just a tad of cinnamon.  it was so airy and pleasant outside.  I read Ecclesiastes out load and broke into the tune of the birds :turn, turn, turn' when I chanted "there is a season to live and a season to die', etc.  my friend was not familiar with the megillah.  she did know the song.

the kids were supposed to come today for the holiday.  I didn't prepare any food because they said we were going to the Sephardi grandparents tonight and the sister's tomorrow for a barbecue.  I was planning on serving the rest of the chicken soup when they arrived and make a package of mini sweet potato raviolis.  I had tons of salad left and I ran out to the supermarket to buy fruit and fresh rolls.  I think I left the fruit at the supermarket.  I went to the large supermarket by bus.  I bought fresh whole wheat baguettes and a package of non gluten rolls.  the grandkids and I love them with hotdogs.  I bought a container of non dairy ice cream and a few tuna steaks.  and I bought two packages of chocolate eggs.  you know, the ones that have the toys inside.

I also bought some lamb kabobs and beef hotdogs for the said barbecue.  I had already purchased chicken hotdogs, beef burgers, chicken wings and lamb kabobs.  I  ran to the pharmacy next door to get acamol for my headache and some anti fungal eye cream for the infection.  I couldn't buy the cream without a prescription.  I then went to the nut store and bought fresh sunflower seeds, a mix of natural nuts and raisins, dried figs, pineapple rings and dates. I then took a taxi down the road to the discount store to find some toys for the kids.  I always have something for them when they arrive.  I had been planning on going to town this morning.  I needed to buy a pay card for my cell phone.  I don't have a line.  when I got to the bus stop I realized that I had left the phone home.

I was planning on going back to Jerusalem on Monday night with the kids; after the holiday ended. and of course, I needed my phone.  I intended to contact my girlfriend, once I got there, and set a time to meet.  I spent quite a bit of money today.  when I got home my son called to cancel.  I wasn't really upset.  I decided to have a quiet holiday with my friend.  I felt bad that she might be alone.  she wasn't interested in coming out.  rain is predicted tomorrow.  I quickly took out a piece of beef and threw it into a pot with onions and beer.  I added some sweet chili sauce.  I then cooked a couple of tuna steaks and a small pot of buckwheat groats.

tonight, we go to the synagogue and watch the men dance with the sefer torahs.  I have been doing this for 35 years here.  I am not as enthusiastic as I used to be, but I still strive to go.  my eyes are burning .  we say farewell  to the sukkah this evening.  we eat in the home tonight.  it is customary to have a small meal before the holiday starts.  we jews like our food!. the house is clean and i'm pretty much ready for the holiday.  I have lost some weight and my clothes are beginning to be loose in the waist.  I don't know what i'll wear tonight.  I am relieved not to have to walk home late, tonight in the cold from the in-laws. it is a bit unnerving to be alone.  it is what it is.  happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment