Sunday, August 11, 2019

Living Life In The Fast lane part 3

it is 3:30 p.m. in the holy city of safed.  we have another 4 hours left to this fast.  I am feeling better than I thought I would but I still haven't made it out of the house.  I've been in bed for most of the day.  I did manage to wet mop the kitchen and dining room areas plus the two back bedrooms.  I have been watching holocaust survivor documentaries all day.  I just turned off a documentary about how the nurses and doctors of the third reich murdered so many innocent people with physical and mental defects.  I had had enough.  at least, the survivor stories are hopeful in spite of the immense brutality.

I can't wait for this fast to end.  I am thirsty and a bit hungry.  it is too hot for me to travel to town to go to the yeshiva.  I don't feel like taking a taxi, either.  I left food and hopefully it is enough.  the manager can put out cakes if any are left from Shabbat.  let him improvise.  I am staying put.  I think last year the other manager called for pizza.

I didn't catch a Shabbat nap yesterday.  I was afraid of being up all night, fasting.  I usually can't sleep on Saturday night.  I finished my novel about a knitting club and the main character succumbed to ovarian cancer.  definitely a bummer! but good to be in sad mode before the fast of Tisha B'av began. I couldn't fall asleep and looked for a good holocaust film.  I settled on Spielberg's, 'Munich'; the one about the Mossad's revenge murders of the masterminds who killed the Israeli athletes at the '72 Olympics.  I finally hit the bed before 3:00 a.m.  I stayed in bed for a good while this morning.

 I have my blueberry cornbread and a salmon steak ready for me to break the fast.  last night I had a tuna sandwich on a whole wheat roll with humus for my pre fast meal.  I could have had chicken but I didn't feel like eating any.  I didn't have any for lunch, either.  I stuck with the salon steaks.  I gave most of the chicken to my dog.  I finished off the package of kale.  I really love it.  I hope they still have some left at the supermarket.  I am tempted to run down to the store now but I don't feel like getting dressed.  perhaps it would be good to take a small walk.  every inch of me hurts.

tomorrow night is the first night of the three day klezmer music festival. I think that the daughter-in-law might come with the grandkids.  I wish I was already on vacation.  I can't wait to return to the outdoor pool.  it's been 9 days already.  I want to jump in the water right now.  these last three hours are going to be a killer.

8:00 p.m.  fast is over. yahoo!  don't know which was harder; not eating and drinking or not watching videos and regular broadcasting  all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment