Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Shana Tova 2018

it's been ages since I blogged.  I went back to the yeshiva about three weeks ago.  I have been pretty much on my own there and buying, whatever food items I need.  the pantry is pretty much depleted.  while my sister was visiting, I tried making up fast meals and didn't stay too long at the yeshiva.  needless to say, my pay check was pretty skimpy this month.  I will be going on another break right after Yom Kippur.  I do not think I am needed during the week of sukkot.

the kids very much want me to go to Jerusalem for Rosh Hashanah.  I don't have the strength to make such a long trip for just a few days.  I prefer to go while I am on vacation and stay for the week.  I don't think that it will work out for me this time.  I am playing it loose.  if I am meant to be in Jerusalem, so be it.

I haven't been sleeping so well.  now that I don't have the added burden of picking up the grandkids, I go into work much later.  I also, get home much later.  I have been coming home after seven, lately.  we have been suffering, yet, another, heat wave.  it really takes its toll.  I spent hours the other day defrosting both freezers.  I was throwing around ice and snow and I was soaking wet.  it felt so good.

the guys went to a wedding last night and didn't put the food, that I prepared for supper, into the fridge.  I tasted the stew and the couscous and it was still good.  this is nothing short of a miracle.  even the tomato salad was in tact.  I served it to them for lunch and they all raved about it.  they said it was better than the wedding food.  I was very happy not to have had to prepare lunch today.

I ended up making a tuna loaf, baked beets and a sweet noodle kugel for their supper.  I went to town to do some errands after work.  I didn't get much accomplished.  I did manage to get to the fresh fish store and bought a few slices of carp and a huge fish head.  it isn't Rosh Hashanah without a cooked fish head at the head of the table.  one year I made a fourth of a sheep's head.  that was my ode to the Sephardic tradition.  my son had been bugging me for years to make one.  he kind of paled at the sight of it.  my grandson thought it was great and the two of us devoured it.  it was truly yummy.

I am not planning on having guests this holiday. I will be going to friends for the first night.  I am bringing the fish, and the different symbolic foods.  I may also bring some brisket.  my other friend has a huge brisket in her freezer and I have agreed to braise it in my toaster oven.  we are thinking beer and a pomegranate sauce. 

I already bought: carrots, pomegranates, leeks, black eyed peas, pumpkin, dates, beets and beet leaves. are we having fun?  my friend might bake small challahs.  I need to bake a honey cake for my daughter-in-law's father.  he loves my whole wheat version.  I already bought the pre- sifted organic whole wheat flour, honey and organic brown cane sugar.  I am playing with the idea of using coconut oil.  why not?? last year's hamentashen were great.

I don't have to work on Friday so I think I will do most of the cooking and baking.  i'll leave the veggies for sunday.  I think i'll make honey bars for my friend and myself.  I've been hitting the sugar as of late.  I'm not going to be very svelte this Rosh Hashanah.  oh well......

it was a difficult visit this summer.  my older sister ran back and forth between me and my other sister, who is still not speaking with me.  she did invite me to meet for coffee via older sister.  I declined her offer.  I got to hear her complaints against me, via big sister and it made me go into a tailspin.  my niece gave birth to a son and I wasn't included in the simcha.  my other niece came in from India with her kids and brand new daughter and didn't come to see me this time, either.  it hurt.

there was just so much psyche drama babble and hurt feelings to deal with.  my sister staged my house and decluttered my walls.  she works in the real estate market in L.A.  she did a marvelous job.  she made the house mine.  my deceased parents are now featured in the background.  my shrine to my mom and her candlesticks has been dismantled.  I just wish we could have had some fun together.

I had friends staying with me for the klezmer music festival.  we were in a party mood.  one night we barbecued.  I only got to the music festival one night.  it was way too busy in my house.  my sister didn't get any quality time.  I was also, too crazy to listen to her speak.  after every mention of my feuding sister, I went slightly insane.



No comments:

Post a Comment