Friday, December 1, 2017

Hussling

it is 10:00 a.m. in the holy city of safed.  I got up at 5:30 a.m. and my cooking contest, 'my kitchen rules' was blasting away.  I had turned it on at 12:30 a.m. but I must have passed out.  these days I fall asleep pretty early.  the telllie doesn't get turned off.  I watched the show and then took 'tiny' the medium sized dog for a quick walk.  he isn't so glad to be home alone and has started chewing the mattresses again.  he destroyed my two best flannel sheets that I use on the double bed.  I woke up the other night in front of the computer.  I had actually passed out online.  it was 9:30 p.m.

last night we had a birthday party for my granddaughter downstairs.  I don't know why but I voluntarily went out and bought all of the party goods.  it cost a small fortune.  it was a princess theme.  I ran to the supermarket on Wednesday morning and did a proper food shopping. I bought tons of olive oil for lighting the chanukiah.  Chanukah is right around the corner.  I also bought 4 new laser dreidels for the kids. I bought tons of canola oil and potatoes to fry up latkes and most of the ingredients to make a cheesecake.  it has become very popular to eat dairy foods on Chanukah.

I filled up the freezer and pantry.  I bought cleaning supplies.  I paid my electric, water and real estate tax bills.  I went downstairs and cleaned the huge laundry room which doubles as a party room, the stairs, hallway and bathroom.  I spent about three hours on it.  I schlepped down both plastic tables and about 16 chairs from the upstairs courtyard.  I also washed them all with the hose.  I cut out some pix of a princess and her coach from a coloring book and scotched taped them to the cabinets.  I hung up a few birthday banners.  of course, everything was pink motif.

I took a photo magnet of my granddaughter and put it on the outside entrance door.  of course, I taped a small cut out of a crown to her head and then taped a small cut out of a 6 to the top of the crown.  I then taped a cut out of a birthday cake under her face.  I get pretty caught up on my themes.  the Sephardi grandma made a beautiful pink and white birthday cake and a vat of homemade couscous with veggie soup.  I was tired from schlepping but she did the hard work.  as usual, I played hostess and made the hot drinks for everyone. I always feel like such a phony.

the party was just for family.  the five little cousins ran around like wild Indians.  the three boys had bey blades, the latest craze in Israel.  I straightened up my house on Thursday before I went to town and work.  I came in early so that I could come home in time for the party which was called for 6:30 p.m.  I got up early and ran to the local bakery to buy jelly filled fried donuts which are popular around Chanukah time.  my friends were returning from overseas and requested them.  I had gone to their house on Wednesday before work, to bring fruit, veggies, eggs, and some dairy products.

I made a vat of macaroni and meat sauce for the 24 yeshiva guys, a monster sized squash and mushroom soufflé and a huge chunky Israeli salad.  my hands are trashed form work. I have calluses, blisters and burns and one of my thumbs is infected.  I don't know how much longer I can keep  this up.  before I went to work I spent 3 hours cooking for Shabbat.  the kids asked to come again.  they were here last week, too.  I figured that I must have filled up the fridge for a reason.  I still have to make a cholent, and a few salads.  last week I had to pick up the kids in town from school.  I did the floors and ran.

last week we took the school bus home and we returned at !:00 p.m.  candle lighting was at 4:00 p.m.  I had done double shifts at the yeshiva all week  and I was wrecked.  I had no time to cook for Shabbat before Friday.  I managed to make fish, liver, chicken wings, rice, mashed potatoes, meatballs and cholent.  I only had enough time to make two salads.  I made a slaw with white cabbage, cranberries and walnuts and a green salad.  needless to say, it was a bit of a disappointment.  it was also, the kids anniversary and I couldn't find a small non dairy cake anywhere.  I bought a few cream puffs but no one liked them.  I felt like a loser.  this week I don't have to pick up the kids and I might just have enough time to make a banana loaf cake.  I have leftover birthday cake for the daytime.

I do have to wash the floors but I don't feel under any real pressure.  I am truly tired and my body aches.  I have pain in my lower back and both shoulders.  I ran to town after work yesterday, to buy snacks for Shabbat at a  certain store and a birthday present.  I spent a fortune.  I bought a mini kitchen for my granddaughter.  it came in 4 pieces.  it has tiny pieces and the microwave lights up and rings.  my grandson was quite jealous.  they love playing restaurant. they have a cart with tons of pots and pans and plastic food objects.  they keep a pad and pen and are always taking my food orders.  my house is one giant playhouse.

I found a lovely play rug outside and it lies in the living room, which has become the kid's playroom.  they kind of out grew the t.v. area.  it still is good for lego and puzzles but the main place is the living room.  it gives me great pleasure because the living room has never been used much except for sitting shiva.  I find it actually, comfortable now.  I need to get some heaters put up on the walls and it will be well for winter.

the house is freezing.  it's warmer outside in the sun.  everyone was cold last night even though I put on one heater.  I only have one outlet downstairs in the laundry room.  one day i'll take care of that, too.  I think i'll use my salary to buy more heaters next week.  thanks to a very special friend in the states who helps me out, I haven't had the bank calling me lately.  May she be very blessed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment