Thursday, December 31, 2015

Let It Snow 2015

it is 5:00 p.m. in the holy city of zefat.  they are predicting a huge snow storm.  I spent the day yesterday running around town getting a new heater plus a kerosene one in case we lose electricity.  I am not into this at all.   I had a taxi take me to the gas station and the driver filled up a huge geri can for me.  I felt thoroughly useless.  I ran to the bakery and supermarket twice.  I wanted to make sure we had a lot of milk and challah for Shabbat.

I am now making a chicken soup and cooking chicken and potatoes for Shabbat.  I have gas so if we lose power we can still heat the food and have hot water.  I am a wreck.  the porch shutter slats are broken off and we already have a lot of water backing up.  I did have all year to remedy this situation so I'm truly frustrated.  I tried hanging up a shower curtain but it blew away.  I should have been working on this weeks ago.  I bought bottles of water in case we have to shut off the water pipe.

I finally went off my diet and went on a 3 day sugar and carbs binge.  it took me three months to lose a kilo and I gained it back in a few days.  I'm disgusted.   I have been sick for about three weeks now.   I made it to the doctor who suggested I have inhalation therapy, 3 days of prednisone and 10 days of antibiotics.   I haven't taken any meds.  I've had a huge appetite and  have drunk tons of orange juice and hot milk.

I don't think I have pneumonia yet.  the doctor said it was bronchial.  I do feel winded after I walk a bit.  the doctor suggested doing a chest ex ray.  I just didn't get around to do it.   I ran to town to pay the city tax and water bills.   the weather was so nasty.  I hadn't been out of the house, except for getting the kids from gan.   the computer wasn't working in the water company.  I didn't have the energy to schlep way across town back to their office.  I took a taxi home and ran back down to the supermarket.   I missed the hail storm by a few moments.

I wanted to make a cheesecake for Shabbat but I truly don't have the energy to bake.  the bakery didn't have any yeast cheese cakes, either.   I made a special detour just to buy one.  I bought cottage cheese to make a lasagna tonight.  guess what?  I don't have the energy to make one.   I bought organic non gluten gnocchi that were on sale.  I doubt that I have the energy to boil water at this point.  at least, I got a jump on the Shabbat cooking.  candle lighting is around 4:00 p.m. these days.

I always schmooze with a gal pal on Friday morning.  last week it was 11:00 a.m. when I got off the phone.   I had to pick up the kids from gan at 12:30 p.m.   I felt extremely pressured.   I don't think I have the energy to shower the kids tonight.   I think they may stay home with me tomorrow.  it will either have snowed tonight, or  harbor threat of afternoon storm.   I walked to pick up my grandson at 3:30 p.m. and it was really cold and rainy.  I couldn't get a taxi home.  I had the company of a young mother and her son so the trek home wasn't so bad.  luckily, my grandson had galoshes and a hooded coat.

I managed to wash the kitchen floor before I headed out.  I wear my winter boots while I 'sponger' the water.  my vacuum cleaner doesn't suck up the dog hair from the carpet in the t.v. room.  when the kids sit on it they get full of dog hair.  I use a lint brush a couple of times a week to scoop up the hair.  I sprinkle baking soda on the rug to try and freshen it.   if only I was dog less.  how easy would life be?  I do use them for body heat when the kids aren't around.  I have plenty of scents all over the house to prevent that doggie smell.   it's hard in the rainy season to prevent that.

the gnocchi was not that big a hit.  it did have a weird smell.  it's non gluten so it's probably made with rice flour.  the last time I made it I didn't boil them first.  I think I just threw them into the tomato sauce.  I don't remember a smell.  I have watery chicken soup with soggy thin noodles or the gnocchi to offer my son when he comes home.  he'll probably eat something in town if I know him.  I'm going to take the kids downstairs now.  I don't think I have the energy to shower them but we shall see.  I'm tempted to use the noodles to make a kugel for lunch.  maybe i'll go for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment